Observations from my first proper testride of my gs(x)

So after getting my cams and timing in order I synced my carbs, adjusted ignition timing and set off, and it was immediately awesome! Right until I hit 5k rpm and the clutch started to slip. Luckily it was just a matter of adjusting the clutch cable. So off I went again and I'm blown away, this thing moves! However there's a few kinks that needs ironing out, namely:
1. Mixture seems to be to rich, it idles nicely but if you rev it it will settle at a couple of hundred maybe 300 rpms lower and then slowly work it self up to idling speed over the course of maybe 10seconds. I'm at 2 turns out on the mix screws, at what point do I consider moving to a size smaller pilot jet?
2. Lots of pops and bangs if I do a slight pull and then quickly let off the throttle in the low to midrange. I have a Hindle 4-2-2-1 exhaust so it doesn't dampen much but still, seems excessive, scared a dog and it's owner. :$ Is this related to the rich idle mixture or more of a needle thing? Perhaps a combination? 
3. Hard to get the thing into neutral, almost feels like the clutch is missing the last little bit to disengage enough. You have to force the shifter and because you force it it ends up usually jumping straight to second, or down to first depending on where you are.  Any tips?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TonyGee said:

try and weeken the mixture screws off a quarter turn (in) and try it. and sounds like you have clutch drag !!!!!  

I've tried some searching here, and it got me wondering, is the gs750 clutch lever and perch I'm using not supplying enough leverage or travel for the gsx1100 engine? Could that be the issue? 

It was the same neutral problems with the cable adjusted to no slack at all, even with the clutch slipping if i where stopped I could not engange neutral easily.

4 hours ago, rodneya said:

Popping through the pipe when you let off the throttle is lean. You need to go richer on the fuel screw and a bigger pilot if necessary.

You can get pops and bangs from an overly rich tune as well, granted it's more of a burbly sound but still. It's hard to convey sound through writing 

• Like 1

In case you don't - a little blip of throttle whilst moving the gear lever, or moving the gear lever whilst still moving, will usually allow neutral selection. Basically either will 'unload' the clutch to allow easier movement - 101 big bike operation manual LOL!

8 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

In case you don't - a little blip of throttle whilst moving the gear lever, or moving the gear lever whilst still moving, will usually allow neutral selection. Basically either will 'unload' the clutch to allow easier movement - 101 big bike operation manual LOL!

Oh believe me I've been blipping it little and blipping it big without it helping. Going for neutral while it's in motion sometimes works

22 hours ago, rodneya said:

Popping through the pipe when you let off the throttle is lean. You need to go richer on the fuel screw and a bigger pilot if necessary.

If there is not air leak, popping & banging in the exhaust usually indicates too rich, spitting back through the carbs as they open indicates too lean.