1100 slabside anti dive

Has anyone any info/links to a supplier of antidive blanking plates in the uk? There's some nice machined items that resemble the original units with both passages to allow correct oil flow available from a company in canada, but unfortunately don't dispatch to the uk. 

Ideally would like to rebuild my stock units as leaking now but to be fair  they are pretty shite when they were functioning correctly before leakage. 

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

T.

I disconnected the hose to the calliper on one of my bikes and took the top part off, then made a plate to tidy it up, if you take the top off the antidive their is no fluid just a little plunger thing, but the plate just tidy's it up. 

zoom in on this pic. or click to get a clearer view. 

20220917_121840.jpg

Edited by TonyGee

It's leaking from the top cover plate on mine where the cable exits. The plunger seal is where it's leaking from unfortunately. I'll whip em apart when I get a moment. The bike had been off the road for 20 years. Rebuilt everything apart from the dive units which have lasted a year before showing signs of leaking. Only myself to blame lol.

Stripped the leaking anti dive down and it's the main oil seal that's failed, leaking oil into the top housing and out through the cable guide hole. Should hopefully be able to source seals the same size. Will go for a double lipped seal of I can get them. Hopefully that should sort them. Hooked them up to a battery to test they both function before stripping down. Ones a bit lazy so that also needs rectifying/good clean should do it.

IMG_20240421_155842.jpg

I measured the seal/plunger diameter. It measures 22x12x5mm. Got a pair from egay, viton double lippers. All o-rings inside are easy to get hold of. Suzuki don't list any repair kits of any kind and suggest you replace the whole unit...hope that helps.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, bunk said:

So what exactly is soo undesireable about anti-dive? Yeah im a newb on the subject

I think it's one of those things where if it were any good bikes would still have them ?

I made blanking plates while refitting them, had them laser cut in SS if anyone wants the file

IMG-20220217-123320.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily say they are undesirable. All the major manufacturers were trying all sorts at the time, they all had their own ideas to alleviate 'dive' some better than others. I think modern suspension has come a long way. If you look at motocross forks and Many road bikes where one fork is compression, the other rebound etc times have changed. Still, no matter what technologies exist it's still an unavoidable issue to a degree. But does it really matter? If you brake hard in a straight line and experience dive what actually happens? Nothing really. If you brake hard mid corner the bike tries to stand you upright and anti dive surely becomes meaningless. I think its just a gimmick of the time really. I'm sure someone may pop along with the answer shortly...

2 hours ago, bunk said:

So what exactly is soo undesireable about anti-dive? Yeah im a newb on the subject

Firming up the suspension can be less than ideal. Everything from cats eyes to pot holes to anything else that requires the suspension movement don’t really require much firmer suspension impact mid corner.

Modern suspension designs can cope better with steady loading from braking to fast movement from impact, than a basic system that just loads up everything overall.

Vastly different suspension settings when you brake. 

Having said that…. Aprilia was still playing with the idea and putting in patents a couple of years back.