Replacing leaking gearbox-seal

Rene EFE

You could just drift a new one into place, knocking the old one back into the gearbox. Feeding the gearbox every once in a while doesn't do much harm, those teeth are good at chewing.

Not that I've ever done 250k miles as a courier, I could not possibly, ever have pulled this stunt.:ph34r:

Bought to you by someone who tries to give the impression that he works on top end bikes. 

xD

• Like 1

As said above, careful once that circlip 31 is out of the way, I think that the selector ratchet stops on the back of the clutch hub if you push it too far, if i does disengage you'll probably be able to wriggle it back as the pawl is retained by a plate, but it's possible to get the box indexed wrong. A tooth out and you end up with some missing gears, so check it through all 5 and neutral rocking the Back wheel and you should be sweet.

Usual known way is two self tapping screws into the seal and pull. Then slide a new one on and knock carefully into place. Not done it myself buut it has been menrtioned being done loads on here over the years.

Risk of screwup means parting the cases. However seeing as if you don't try the slef tappers means parting cases anyway. worth a go I'd think

Mark

10 hours ago, Gpz1100_Convert said:

Risk of screwup means parting the cases. However seeing as if you don't try the slef tappers means parting cases anyway. worth a go I'd think

for replacing a drive shaft seal yes. But for the shift shaft seal the cases do not need parting. Remove the clutch, pull out the shaft and the seal can be popped out from the inside.

I have replaced many seals using self tappers and it works fine.

• Like 1