Aprillia Mille RSV wheels into Gen 1 Hayabusa

Hi there,

I have seen the swap done before and like the idea of upgrading to the OZ wheels. Anyone know what is involved in the conversion?

I'm pretty sure I'll need spacers but what about disc offsets, chain aliagnment and spindles? I'd like to be able to cost it up full first as the wheels from eBlag will be around £800 on their own.

Thanks.

Jon

Dunno specifically but Aprilia front discs have the same fitment as older type Ducati, Yamaha and KTM, so parts from all of these manufacturers can be mixed and matched for the correct fitment. For example, my bike has a race wheel from a Yamaha TZ, discs from a Ducati and Forks from a KTM.

• Like 1
On 4/1/2024 at 12:57 AM, Jonny said:

Hi there,

I have seen the swap done before and like the idea of upgrading to the OZ wheels. Anyone know what is involved in the conversion?

I'm pretty sure I'll need spacers but what about disc offsets, chain aliagnment and spindles? I'd like to be able to cost it up full first as the wheels from eBlag will be around £800 on their own.

Thanks.

Jon

Front shouldn't be a problem, i think the bearings are the same which is always good.

I've put my rim on an SRAD fork very easily. Available in 310 and 320, and two offsets available for these italian discs, i need to check (i used the smaller offset i believe) but it ended up very nearly centering the discs in regards to the calipers, a single M10 washer between the caliper and fork did the trick.

On the rear however it could be another matter.

I'm fitting italian rims on a Gen.1 Busa swingarm, Hayabusa spindle is 28mm, the italian spindle is 30mm. 

In my case there doesn't seem to be an adaptable bearing with matching OD and ID to compensate the differences and make things fit together.

I'm using 749 rims but chances are you need the same bearings in yours, and therefore will face the same issue.

I have yet to find the best solution to put this together, as a result it's been put aside for the moment xD

Edited by Joseph

Yes alignment can be achieved spot on. A 525 chain is what i'm using however mine is a slingshot frame with busa arm, not a full busa.

I think i need a 5mm offset sprocket to do so, using an XR650 sprocket which is cheap and compatible/same splines.

But overall it's not far off and judging by the chain run in the busa arm it can't be far off on a real busa either

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve done this conversion a few times into TL1000’s which run the same wheels as the Busa.

Theres 2 types of OZ wheels.  The Gen 1 Forged OZ wheels have a narrower hub which is the same width as the Brembo Wheels.

The Gen 2 OZ wheels have a stamped Rim with EVO written into them.

Beware. There are also some Aprilia wheels that look like the OZ wheels but are cast alloy and not forged. They have then word Aprilia cast into them so ignore the OZ decals and look for the castings. OZ wheels have the word OZ stamped into the recess on the hubs.

Borh wheels run 25.0mm ID bearings and the front can be made to fotttje TL/ Busa with 2 x spacers that recess into the wheel.

You will need to shim out the discs as on the Gen 2 wheels the hub is a lot narrower. The Aprilia discs are offset where as the Busa / TL discs are flat. RSV / RSVR and RSV4 front discs are all the same so any will do.

Gen 2 wheels need 2 x 2.0mm shims

Gen1 and Brembo 5 spoke wheels need 3.5mm per side (irrc)

Rear is a little more complex-

Reay wheel bearings in the Busa are 28mm and 25mm on the Aprilia.

No bearing swap is available so you need to shim the axle where it passes through the swingarm and the chain adjusters.

A 2006 ZX6R axle is the right size.

You will need to do  525 chain conversion or get Talon to do you a special rear sprocket in 530.

You also need the complete rear braking system too. Caliper and Hanger.

You need a custom spacer to the sprocket side and a 2.5mm spacer that fits between the swingarm and the caliper hanger….

I cut the caliper hanger down and use the Swingarm bobbin mount to fit the beak torque arm on the TL’s but the Busa shouldn’t be much different.

good luck IMG_8773.thumb.jpeg.2986ad163ae0d36d414eae4120d1cf13.jpegIMG_9199.thumb.jpeg.9c10467173538331821248557aac4eb4.jpeg

IMG_9202.jpeg

IMG_9201.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg

IMG_9187.jpeg

Edited by Captain Chaos
Wrong photos
  • Like 6
On 4/16/2024 at 10:19 PM, Matt-Man said:

I’ve done this conversion a few times into TL1000’s which run the same wheels as the Busa.

Theres 2 types of OZ wheels.  The Gen 1 Forged OZ wheels have a narrower hub which is the same width as the Brembo Wheels.

The Gen 2 OZ wheels have a stamped Rim with EVO written into them.

Beware. There are also some Aprilia wheels that look like the OZ wheels but are cast alloy and not forged. They have then word Aprilia cast into them so ignore the OZ decals and look for the castings. OZ wheels have the word OZ stamped into the recess on the hubs.

Borh wheels run 25.0mm ID bearings and the front can be made to fotttje TL/ Busa with 2 x spacers that recess into the wheel.

You will need to shim out the discs as on the Gen 2 wheels the hub is a lot narrower. The Aprilia discs are offset where as the Busa / TL discs are flat. RSV / RSVR and RSV4 front discs are all the same so any will do.

Gen 2 wheels need 2 x 2.0mm shims

Gen1 and Brembo 5 spoke wheels need 3.5mm per side (irrc)

Rear is a little more complex-

Reay wheel bearings in the Busa are 28mm and 25mm on the Aprilia.

No bearing swap is available so you need to shim the axle where it passes through the swingarm and the chain adjusters.

A 2006 ZX6R axle is the right size.

You will need to do  525 chain conversion or get Talon to do you a special rear sprocket in 530.

You also need the complete rear braking system too. Caliper and Hanger.

You need a custom spacer to the sprocket side and a 2.5mm spacer that fits between the swingarm and the caliper hanger….

I cut the caliper hanger down and use the Swingarm bobbin mount to fit the beak torque arm on the TL’s but the Busa shouldn’t be much different.

good luck IMG_8773.thumb.jpeg.2986ad163ae0d36d414eae4120d1cf13.jpegIMG_9199.thumb.jpeg.9c10467173538331821248557aac4eb4.jpeg

IMG_9202.jpeg

IMG_9201.jpeg

IMG_9200.jpeg

IMG_9187.jpeg

Thanks for this info. Super helpful! I have copied and pasted it so I can find it later. (y)

I know it’s not what you asked for, but R1 wheels into a Busa is a popular swap.  Places like TPC / Total Performance Cycles in the US do off the shelf spindles etc. 

Those RSV ones do look nice though. I’d love a radial front end for my Gen-1 but a pair of those could tempt me away from that. 

• Like 1