Yoshimura big bore piston kit for GSX 1100?

Eben

Howzit All!

Recently a very special Katana came my way when my old friend passed away from cancer. It is a genuine E27spec Katana GSX1100SXZ. Even more special with all the Yoshi goodies!

This specific bike has a Yoshi big bore piston kit, gas flowed head, Dyna coils, 33mm Smoothbores, period Yoshi pipe, V&H filters, superhub clutch, and might have wilder cams. The rear wire rim was widened to 4 inches and a 150/18 tyre fitted, looks soooo right! Fork brace and Marzochis on the rear round this very capable Kat off.

Getting to my question. He told me it is a 1142cc Yoshi big bore kit. This however looks unlikely considering the standard 66mm stroke. I would think 1135cc as on the later EF Suzukis? I surfed the Net and could not get an answer up to now. Does anybody on this Forum know what sizes the Yoshimura big bore kits for the GSX 1100 motor came in?

Cheers

Eben

SXZ.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, only the 1100SXZ had the tube chromemolly swingarm. Standard 1100SZ and 1000SZ had the box aluminium swingarm. Although mine has the 33mm smoothbore carbs, they came out with the same 32mm oval bore carbs as on the 1000SZ, except for larger main jets. I may be mistaken, but I was told by my old friend that the 750SZ also had a tube swingarm, don't know, 750's actually very scarce in power mad SA!

Then I suppose mine has to be 1140cc. I did read on the Net somewhere also mention of 1140cc Yoshi kit. I remember Dawid (my old friend) saying Yoshi kit smaller than the 1168 Wiseco kit. He also mentioned high lift degreed cams, which I suppose makes sense when gas flow head, 33mm smoothbores, Yoshi race pipe, superhub clutch etc? She certainly has a hefty kick around 6500rpm right up to and probably beyond the 9000rpm redline. The bike is geared for 256km/h, which I believe achievable, 220 coming up in a flash.

Bike is surprisingly ride-able in town, although she obviously prefers the open road. The smootbores obviously not too happy being wacked open at low revs in a high gear. Idles reasonably OK too after I got those slides to open at exactly the same time.

Is these Yoshi pistons only 2 rings per piston? Hope not! 

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 12:32 AM, Chesney said:

Hi all a beautiful bike, I'm building one and need a few things would like to get a set of those spoke rims etc.

theyre early gs1000 wheels, only the gs1000 and a very few gt750's  had the spoked rear wheel with a disk brake, plenty of other suzukis from the gs range and gt range of the time had the spoked disk brake fronts, but that rear hub is what youre paying for when you buy a set of these wheels, 90% of the value is in that hub.

Edited by johnr