GS1000 - 630 to 530 final drive chain, upgrade?

Steveg

The final drive chain on my GS1000 is needing replacement along with both front and rear sprockets. 

But wait!

I have read that upgrading to a 530 chain has benefits?

These are:

less weight - Less energy loss - Todays chain technology means the 530 chains of today are better than the old 630 technology - Less transmission stress and cheaper - lasts just as long or even longer (the less mechanical weight thing)

Bikes manufactured today don't use 630 chains so perhaps this answers my question

So, upgrading to 530 seems like a no brainer..... What do you think?

PS, Just in case a real live Malcome answers, yes, the upgrade will have 530 sprockets too.

Cheers, Steve

Edited by Steveg
Spelling

Hi Baz,

Good point.

I will measure the position of the 630 front sprocket and make sure that it is the same as the new 530 sprocket. And make sure it is all aligned to the rear sprocket. I did think it might need a bit more than simply replacing the 630 to 530 stuff.

Steve

4 minutes ago, Steveg said:

Hi Baz,

Good point.

I will measure the position of the 630 front sprocket and make sure that it is the same as the new 530 sprocket. And make sure it is all aligned to the rear sprocket. I did think it might need a bit more than simply replacing the 630 to 530 stuff.

Steve

Also, 530 sprockets will be significantly smaller diameters for the same gear ratio / tooth count - this sometimes means they rub on swingarm pivots etc. Easily fixed with a nylon wear plate fixed to the arm!

Hi Gixer1460,

I am hoping that the 530 sprocket diameters are not too significantly different from the 630 ones. The tooth count on the current 630 front sprocket is 15, the 530 is 17 so should bring it back to almost the same as a 630. The rear 630 is 42 teeth and the 530 is 48 so I will check the issue as you mentioned but I am thinking the extra teeth might not reduce the diameters as you mention. Again I will check this when I get the sprokets delivered.

Cheers Steve

Edited by Steveg
Odd spell check?
  • Like 1