CDI

wraith

Seems a lot of these questions just recently xD 

So, I know a gsx750f cdi will on a MK1 b12, gsx1100f and a gsxr1127 and the other way around. 

I would think the b6 and gsx600f would also work.

So my question is.

Dose anybody know what the different cdi's would affect the running? 

I.E different power curve? 

Thinking, say a b12 lower revs and low down power, gsxr high revs and top end power and gsxf simmer revs (apart from the 600 and 750) and mid power???? 

Anybody know???

My thoughts would be apart from the higher rpm limits the main differences would be in the ignition advance curve ,and I'm making an assumption here ,that the GSXR would be more aggressive (as in it brings the total amount of advance in faster to suit the more aggressive cam profiles ) than the gsxf and bandit cdi units,  but unless someone has taken time to map this out it is only an assumption . The smaller 600/750 may have slightly less advance at any given rpm as they rev higher ,again assuming that the total advance required is the same ,which is not a given ..... so lots of assumptions but no real facts :$

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DAZ said:

My thoughts would be apart from the higher rpm limits the main differences would be in the ignition advance curve ,and I'm making an assumption here ,that the GSXR would be more aggressive (as in it brings the total amount of advance in faster to suit the more aggressive cam profiles ) than the gsxf and bandit cdi units,  but unless someone has taken time to map this out it is only an assumption . The smaller 600/750 may have slightly less advance at any given rpm as they rev higher ,again assuming that the total advance required is the same ,which is not a given ..... so lots of assumptions but no real facts :$

My thoughts exactly :D be nice to know if anybody has looked into this a bit more. 

• Like 1

I've never found any precise archives on this matter. I know that people have fitted 750R ecus on 11s to raise the limiter, but maybe for the GSXRs thats the main difference ?

Talking advance, note that it seems that it's the ignition rotor that defines advance changes, i've noticed that while tinkering between an R a B12 and GSX 1400 trying to sort out my conversion on the 14.

It may be the case that it's mainly a limiter level affair.

For example the 750W was restricted in France, it was down to the cams, and also a specific french market ECU that supposedly just had a lower rpm limit.

Yoshimura provided an ECU for the same bike and the only difference with that part is a higher limiter

• Like 1

If you find the genuine workshop manuals for each bike from which the cdi is sourced, then you can find the advance retard and rev limit data for each model. These definitely vary among models, even those of similar capacity e.g. 1100 slabby v 1127 slingshot. Manuals as pdfs available from usual sources :).

• Like 4
On 12/1/2023 at 8:24 AM, Losiu said:

In my Bandit mk1 I have a 1052 engine, a sgnal generator from a b12 mk2, a harness from a b6 mk2, cdi and carburetors from inazuma 750. Everything p&p.

Driving impressions? A very nice bike:pimp:

What ignition rota pickup (bit that bolts to the end of the crank) are you using? 

Just, I tried a 1052cc one on my b12 engine (b12 MK1 pickup plate) and it didn't work. 

I'm also running a 1052 pickup, rota and CDI on my gsx1100f engined kat seems to work fine.

Seems CDI box's will change  but do the pickup plate and rotas need to match each other or can you use any pickup plate but it's the rota needs to match the engine?

19 minutes ago, wraith said:

Just getting my head round that you can use 1052 pickup plate and rota on a 1127 but you can't use the 1052 pick rota with a say b12 pickup plate 

Just thinking about that is the 1052 a twin pickup and bandit a single. Will have to go in the garage and check xD

Yeah, 1052s had twin pickup. I think they're the only ones out of the oil cooled. Not sure about the first gen 750s as I've never owned one. The rest of the oil cooled seems to really only depend on the plugs matching up to the CDI and being mindful of the rev limiter. I've got the factory manual for all the slingshot 750s at home that I can check for ignition timing sometime, but currently out of town dealing with family stuff.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Losiu said:

Yes, the 1052 has pulsers every 180 degrees. All in all, probably every newer oilboiler still has a place on the board for the other front one. I was wondering if this board would work with only the rear sensor and some kind of single-sensor CDI

Yeah, you can use them like that. Others have used more modern CDIs with the 1052 pickups. It's not like Suzuki has ever been known to change out a perfectly good part if they don't have to.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Losiu said:

Yes, the 1052 has pulsers every 180 degrees. All in all, probably every newer oilboiler still has a place on the board for the other front one. I was wondering if this board would work with only the rear sensor and some kind of single-sensor CDI

The ignition plate is the same on all oil cooled bikes, from the 85 750 to the 2006 GSX 1400, and they were all made with the 4 threaded holes like the slabside needs.

I developed this adjustable plate and have had it on Bandit GSXR and GSX14 for a couple of tests

IMG_20230808_132222.thumb.jpg.fba3098d0dc4d7b97d8d6b70289304af.jpg

The only one that has a different part number, but still a same looking part, is the 750 RK, i sold one of mine to a guy who intends to fit it to his RK, he said he'd let me know xD

• Like 4