Dot Head Swap On The G Bike

XXXSpro

Been A While, But The GSX100G Is Getting A Head Swap.

After Doing A Bit Of Reading It Seems Like The G Has The Same Cams As The 1100F

But My Eblag Deal Got Me A 1992 Kata Dot Head With Cams For $200

If My Goal Is Faster Revving & More Torque/Mid Which Would Cams Would You Go With? 

6159D22E-2062-4484-AEF6-9E082DD771B9.png

C642A0B6-0D33-4886-85DF-451E311691D8.jpeg

• Like 2

Dot head will give a compression bump but could cause issues with the carbs fouling the tank as the inlet ports are angled upward by about 15° ,the gsxr 750 j+k that had this head used shorter intake rubbers ( no longer available new )and lower carb tops to avoid clearance problems ,the g cams if the same as the the 1100f are probably the best all round cams . The dot head swap seems a cheap boost but brings potential pitfalls too with tank /carb clearance problems  

• Like 1

If like you say the g cams are the same as the f keep them, really good all round cam. You could go for a set of gsxr750j/k cams that are a good high rev cam but you will lose the mid power to get the high fast revs.

PS we need more pictures of this bike looks interesting and I do like a under dog build :D

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DAZ said:

Dot head will give a compression bump but could cause issues with the carbs fouling the tank as the inlet ports are angled upward by about 15° ,the gsxr 750 j+k that had this head used shorter intake rubbers ( no longer available new )and lower carb tops to avoid clearance problems ,the g cams if the same as the the 1100f are probably the best all round cams . The dot head swap seems a cheap boost but brings potential pitfalls too with tank /carb clearance problems  

Ok that makes sense

I had read about the clearance issues, but wasn’t sure if it was just a bandit issue or a general thing.

I’m using the ram air dual foam pod filters with a the factory pro stage 3 set up

thanks

9 hours ago, wraith said:

If like you say the g cams are the same as the f keep them, really good all round cam. You could go for a set of gsxr750j/k cams that are a good high rev cam but you will lose the mid power to get the high fast revs.

PS we need more pictures of this bike looks interesting and I do like a under dog build :D

Ok cool, that’s what I was finding as far as intake cam, exhaust cam seemed to be a bit smaller, but peak torque is down to 4750 according the interwebs

for sure thanks, it was the cheapest good running big bike I could get my hands on!

$400 for the pink hippo and 2 years and $2k later im here 

6220FF39-C2B5-4BC4-A934-5AD6F9DDBC63.jpeg

8B1458F0-D5DA-41A7-A064-0F9793806A86.jpeg

EEAF7F0B-A418-4FBA-8CEB-CC02041E5D1B.jpeg

B8FAE4CB-E818-4650-BD67-D28CFFC2B7E5.jpeg

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Nik said:

I seriously doubt that the G has the same cams as the F.

The G has the same 1127 cc, same C/R, same valves, 36 mm carbs but only 100 hp. The F had 34 mm carbs and made 130-ish hp, all else the same. 

I'd go for F or R cams.

I’ll have to find the numbers, but read it has a different exhaust cam, would that affect more upper Hp?

11 minutes ago, XXXSpro said:

I’ll have to find the numbers, but read it has a different exhaust cam, would that affect more upper Hp?

If you're referring to various sites' microfishes etc, where the G cams might have the same item no.s as F cams, it says nothing about the original specs/item no.s. Most are superseeded and streamlined and refers to only one spare part no. Since the G sold little, it most likely refers to the F cams for spares, which could fool people into thinking they were the same originally.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wraith said:

Check the numbers on the cams, if they are the same as the f cams great if not look out for some f cams 

You've done a great job on the g you won't think it was a g (y)

For sure, I appreciate it!

Do you think the gsx750F cams are worth using?

The new heads cam with them and I was gonna sell them if they were t a good upgrade 

It’s a weird bike and I love it! With the torque hitting so early it’s felt great after the weight loss.

it’s a long bike and I’m actually playing with the geometry with a racer friend of mine to get the rake under 30 degrees and the trail in the 5

1 hour ago, wraith said:

Check the numbers on the cams, if they are the same as the f cams great if not look out for some f cams 

You've done a great job on the g you won't think it was a g (y)

” range 

8 hours ago, Nik said:

If you're referring to various sites' microfishes etc, where the G cams might have the same item no.s as F cams, it says nothing about the original specs/item no.s. Most are superseeded and streamlined and refers to only one spare part no. Since the G sold little, it most likely refers to the F cams for spares, which could fool people into thinking they were the same originally.

Ooooo that makes so much sense!

I hadn’t thought of that possibility, so the 750F cams are probably an upgrade to the Gs 

3 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

I'd go with the 750F cams. If they end up being too peaky, swap the G cams back in and you should get back more bottom end. R cams would kill all of the mid range you're currently enjoying. 

Thanks for that, I think I’ll give the 750F cams a shot.

they’re already in the new heads so less work

8 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

Not sure with the G engines, but double check that the cam sprockets match, you might need to swap the G sprockets on to the F cams. Usually people swap the dot heads onto bandit engines and those need the bandit sprockets.

For sure, I’ll look into that. I assume I’ll have to make the sprocket swap too

7 hours ago, XXXSpro said:

From the looks of that the G looks like better profile, makes things a bit easier for the head swap.

I know it’s a random bike for the 1127s but any guesses to how it respond to the bump in compression with the original G cams?

As the G model cams seem to be very similar to the MK1 bandit & the power figures as standard would confirm that, I'm sure that someone with a dot head on a bandit will be along in a minute. I have seen elsewhere, a MK1 with a skimmed head make just under 120rwhp so worth the effort 

• Like 1

Don't know about the hp/toque but I've got a b12 with ported DOT head gsx1100f cams and gsxr750 38mm carbs with gearing 16t front and 48t rear and it pulls like a train all the way from tick over to top revs in all gears, will happily sit at 80mph at 4,000 rpm all day (on a private road at that speed of course). 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, wraith said:

Don't know about the hp/toque but I've got a b12 with ported DOT head gsx1100f cams and gsxr750 38mm carbs with gearing 16t front and 48t rear and it pulls like a train all the way from tick over to top revs in all gears, will happily sit at 80mph at 4,000 rpm all day (on a private road at that speed of course). 

I should check your Speedo. 

4 hours ago, wraith said:

That’s what was hoping to hear!

im cool with the power down low, not a big highway pull guy. More of the muscle bike in a cafe body as the goal

the porting increase air flow correct?

I’ve already got it jetted and runs strong but will wait for the Dyno until the head swap

Current Set Up:

Mains: 152.5 

Pilot: 32.5 

Screw: 3.5 Turns

BST36ss w/ Ram Air Socks 

Exhaust: Hindle 4-2-1

Edited by XXXSpro
  • Like 1