M-unit and ignitor ?

skunkworks

hey guys how ya doin?

I need some help. im half way through wiring an m-unit blue into my 83 katana. the engine is an 88 1127 the ignitor is a 2005 gsxf750.

can anyone give me a wiring diagram of the ignitor to the m-unit? I have everything else talking to the m-unit just fine. its just the ignitor that's getting me all bollocked up.

thanks guys.

quick recap. 1988 1127. 2005 gsxf750 ECM. m-unit blue. all inputs work. ignition output provides 12 volts to coils.WTF?

ok so I've tried to wire it every way from Sunday and I have no spark.... I have 12 volts at the coils but no spark.

so when I ground the ECM  like it says in the revival cycles instructions it takes power away from the signal generator. (when I don't ground the black/white it has about 11 volts in the ground wire) and power returns to the signal generator.

I have tried the 100 omh resistor and it knocks it down to 8.5 volts (in the orange /yellow)when grounded(black/white) and still no spark. 

is it possible that both coils are bad?  its lucky it doesn't have a face because if it did it would of got punched by now.

please help 

There should never be voltage measured anywhere on the crank signal generator unless the engine is turning - it self generates millivolts level signal.

From memory and never used a M-Unit (but I assume it has a dedicated Ign output?) goes like this . . . . . 

M-Unit Ign output (12v) goes to 750 ICM / ECU / CDI (whatever you want to call it) orange/white wire AND the coil low tension terminals + side. (its a switched live)

M-Unit must have an earth to battery and chassis - Suzuki colour Black/white. The CDI also requires ground - Black/white.

From CDI there are two output wires - White and a Black/Yellow, each goes to a coil - (I think White is 1/4 and B/Y is 2/3? . . . . 50% chance of being right LOL)

From crank signal generator there are two wires - Blue and Yellow. These connect to CDI input side which should be Blue & Yellow!.

There is one last wire from CDI - Red/Black - this is the tacho signal and runs to the rev counter input.

Connected as above - you should have sparks and engine will run (with other variables supplied & coils - connected right way round LOL)

• Like 1

CDIPicture_zpsdcfe92ae.jpgimage.thumb.png.e27930549d117589816139077dcc696c.png

Try that. GSXR and Bandit CDI's are wired slightly different but its not mega complex to decipher it. M-Unit powers the CDI and the Coils, the CDI earths the coil signal to fire them. VR sensor is straight forward, CDI earth is self explanitory and the black/red is RPM signal

credit to @Ben Slabbyfor the cdi pin outs 

Edited by davecara
  • Like 2