Realised I put the oil strainer on the opposite way round, will it still work?

Jpich85

After cleaning out the oil strainer and fitting a new oil pan gasket on my gsxr750 1985, I was looking through the workshop manual and realised I'd fitted it back on the opposite way lol, I know it was a dumb mistake and should of double checked it in the manual.

Does anyone know if it matters which was these are fitted or if it needs correcting and put on the right way around? 

IMG-20230826-WA0000.jpg

Me neither. I think the OP means the round strainer was removed and cleaned then accidentally rotated so the aperture through which the oil is sucked up pointed backwards instead of forwards (or vice versa). I thought this was also impossible because the three holes in the strainer are not exactly evenly spaced and only fit one way (???). I have noticed that some strainers/pick ups although very similar have differently postioned apertures. E.g. the b12 and slabby 1100 have the same pick up but the apterture in the circular strainer is in a different place. Dunno about the 750s though.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Me neither. I think the OP means the round strainer was removed and cleaned then accidentally rotated so the aperture through which the oil is sucked up pointed backwards instead of forwards (or vice versa). I thought this was also impossible because the three holes in the strainer are not exactly evenly spaced and only fit one way (???). I have noticed that some strainers/pick ups although very similar have differently postioned apertures. E.g. the b12 and slabby 1100 have the same pick up but the apterture in the circular strainer is in a different place. Dunno about the 750s though.

That makes more sense. Though I'd still probably be cheap about it and reuse the oil if I just had the pan off.