Air cooled draw through.

Right gents, I have questions inspired at least in part by the symphony I was treated to being in the middle of a turbo charged convoy at chicken central. :)

So the idea is to develop the throw back build a bit. I have a complete Roger Upperton engine, with a welded crank, wiseco 1168, head has larger EF valves and is ported, everything checked. That seems like a great starting point to me? Lower the compression, fit a whistle?

With that in mind, what's a realistic expectation for power and torque figures?

My next question is the feasibility of a draw through on an ET engine in an ET frame. Will it all fit? Much as I'm a fan it won't be injected, just a single carb trying to suck my knee cap in. So I can shove everything around space wise if needed as there won't be much in the way of extras.

I'll clearly have to sort the front end, and I'm hoping to stick with the Slabby forks (will be rebuilt) and twin shock to keep the '80s vibe going.

That's where I'm at with my thinking and questions. Please feel free to poke holes and make suggestions. (y)

Oh BTW Clive and Paul, please be advised that if there's  a divorce or bankruptcy as a result you two will be getting a mention.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

All 'oldskool' turbo's used to be draw / suck through, so yes everything will fit providing you don't go mad with the whistle! Whilst a S&S carb would be period correct a Miki HSR would work better.

Yeah I wouldn't be fussed about a period correct carb, I'd much rather reliability and an easier life. 

8 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Should have mentioned this at Chicken Central l could have shown you the stuff I've been collecting for an efe engine. For big power you need straight cut gear's for the crank and clutch. You should be alright for 200/220hp though with lower comp. 

The basket's off of it so I'll have a look tomorrow as I can't remember if that was one of the mods done to the engine. That said I won't be going too crazy with it, I'm thinking in the 150 - 200 range would be reasonable and keep it reliably usable.

IMG_20220106_081450(1).thumb.jpg.ac5b3f380b27a86b66420f2d04d64d41.jpg

• Like 2

OK, so I had a conversation with Dave at FBM about the plan. I'm going over for a chat and look see, so if you're dropping in there at some point when you're back from the IOM @Paulmlet me know and we'll try to tie up for a brew and catch up. (y)

So it's now time to start clearing space, bikes and drum up some cash. Then I can start on the 'Turbo Throwback' as it will be known. :pimp: It's going to leapfrog the El/Bandit hybrid as I have 75% of what's needed for this.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, imago said:

OK, so I had a conversation with Dave at FBM about the plan. I'm going over for a chat and look see, so if you're dropping in there at some point when you're back from the IOM @Paulmlet me know and we'll try to tie up for a brew and catch up. (y)

So it's now time to start clearing space, bikes and drum up some cash. Then I can start on the 'Turbo Throwback' as it will be known. :pimp: It's going to leapfrog the El/Bandit hybrid as I have 75% of what's needed for this.

A friday saturday or monday i can do Larry,gimme a shout when im back ( tuesday 5th sept)

• Like 2