Clutch release shaft

IMG_9559.thumb.jpeg.ec20532da644fc78a4fe572ba42a4512.jpegHi, I’ve changed the clutch on my GS1000, but I’m struggling to get the release thrust piece to engage with the release shaft pinion, when refitting the primary drive cover. Do I need to remove the release shaft before locating? The manual just says” ensure the teeth engage “  

Edited by Fergie1050
Photo missing
28 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

sounds like the little barrel with the teeth on in the clutch drum is facing the wrong way,  turn it so the teeth face the back wheel. 

Thanks but it is facing the rear. I can get them to mesh so the casing goes on, but the clutch arm doesn’t engage 

6 minutes ago, Fergie1050 said:

Thanks but it is facing the rear. I can get them to mesh so the casing goes on, but the clutch arm doesn’t engage 

not sure what you mean about the clutch arm ????  the short chrome arm on the top comes off, if its in the wrong position just move it on the splines. 

15 minutes ago, Fergie1050 said:

Ok is not the short arm on top, it’s the shaft that runs down the depth of the casing, as per the photo 

not really understanding your problem !!!  the clutch shaft in the cover stays in the cover when you fit it, the release barrel with the teeth just slides in and meshes with the shaft if its lined up.  have you any pic's of your bike/clutch ?  

As @TonyGee says not 100% on what's happening, when you fit the clutch cover and the splines engages with the splines on the clutch (if they don't will not be able to fit the clutch cover) the shaft as you say will not turn by hand, you will only be able to move it with the clutch cable and leaver connected. 

Unless you're saying that with the leaver and cable connected you can't pull the leaver in, then you put something in the clutch in the wrong place.

The splines on the operating shaft in the clutch centre need to be facing the rear of the engine. To make things easier, take the operating arm off the clutch cover. Offer the cover up to the engine, turning the splined shaft on the cover until the cover is home. Replace cover bolts. Replace arm … and Robert’s your Mothers Brother!

10 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

The splines on the operating shaft in the clutch centre need to be facing the rear of the engine. To make things easier, take the operating arm off the clutch cover. Offer the cover up to the engine, turning the splined shaft on the cover until the cover is home. Replace cover bolts. Replace arm … and Robert’s your Mothers Brother!

Yes that is exactly what I did, the arm moves but there is no return action. It just “flops” about …..

Can’t understand that! It should only move positively when it rotates on the clutch pressure plate pinion, pulling the pressure plate towards the clutch outer cover. In so doing, relieving the weight on the clutch plates. So under tension all the time. NO ‘flopping about’. It is the correct pressure plate pinion? And, as duckndive says, did you re-fit the spring spacers? There’s something wrong that’s not right!O.o

You did put the Thrust bearing and washer back on the rack clutch release, the thing the is in the centre of the clutch that goes into the cover ;)

I take it the threads on the clutch hub that hold the springs in have not striped? And allowing the plate to move when you pull the clutch lever

8 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Can’t understand that! It should only move positively when it rotates on the clutch pressure plate pinion, pulling the pressure plate towards the clutch outer cover. In so doing, relieving the weight on the clutch plates. So under tension all the time. NO ‘flopping about’. It is the correct pressure plate pinion? And, as duckndive says, did you re-fit the spring spacers? There’s something wrong that’s not right!O.o

I’m going to strip it back down this weekend. It was working before I changed the plates and springs. It’s obvious I must have messed up something