GSX1100f carb, throttle and choke.

FB33

I need to start off by saying I know nothing about modern bike engines. But I am building a hardtail chop with a gsx1100f engine. I think I have the correct carbs for it (2 different sets came in the crate). I've included pics of what I think are the correct ones.

I've been trying to find out about the choke and throttle. It looks like you only fit one throttle cable to the carbs but some people have said it has 2 ?

Also I've been told it uses a choke lever on the bars, but there appears to be a pull out choke knob fitted to the carbs already?

Lastly, apart from the two fuel inlets, what are all the other pipes and outlets and stuff on the carb for?

20230708_173851.jpg

20230708_173908.jpg

20230708_173926.jpg

20230708_173938.jpg

20230708_173949.jpg

20230708_174001.jpg

20230708_174009.jpg

20230708_174028.jpg

25 minutes ago, FB33 said:

I've been trying to find out about the choke and throttle. It looks like you only fit one throttle cable to the carbs but some people have said it has 2 ?

Also I've been told it uses a choke lever on the bars, but there appears to be a pull out choke knob fitted to the carbs already?

Lastly, apart from the two fuel inlets, what are all the other pipes and outlets and stuff on the carb for?

The Mikuni CV carbs only need one throttle cable, and usually only have a mount for one, like yours appear to have.

The stock carbs did use a lever and cable for the choke. Pretty sure you can swap them to a side pull, or they might be off something else, but oil cooled carbs are fairly interchangeable.

Other than the two fuel lines going into the bottom, everything else is vents and emissions crap. They like to have some amount of hose on them, but can be vented to atmosphere or ran through a small filter.

Someone with more experience with the powerscreens will come along and know if those are the right carbs or not.

As above, the two lines/pipes at the rear going to the bottom of the carb/flot boals are fuel pipes. 

The one at the top front near the choke is the vacuum pipes. This will need to go to the tape vacuum or be blanked off (M4 bolt dose the trick) 

The others are air/overflow pipes that will need to let to vent but you don't need the pipes if you don't want.

There was only two bikes with these carbs, 

1. Gsxr1100 g/h/j 

Or the gsx1100f 

The 1100f had (like yours) two fuel line pipes and a cable and handle bar leaver choke.

The gsxr had one fuel line pipe and a pull choke (like yours O.o) but you can very easily swap the cable choke to the pull bar type. 

Best way to find out, can you see the numbers printed on the side of the carbs? 

If not get yourself a manual (Haynes gsxr 88-90 covers the gsxf) and check the pilot jet sizes, as they where different between the two bikes. 

gsxr1100 g/h BST34s had those weird 'rail' brackets holding the rack together. Powerscreen and 1100j had conventional rails (as in the pic above), but only the j had a choke knob. Powerscreen had a cable choke so those carbs are 1100 j or powerscreen with a modified choke mechanism :).  The important carb internal bits are all much of a muchness though, BST34 although as Wraith states there are some minor variations.

• Like 1