Finally had a charging problem with a slingshot

Out on a ride with friends today and the bike wouldn’t start after we stopped for gas. Bump started it, fired right up and then died again. Popped the seat off and found the alternator wires melted. Oops waiting for a lift home and then replacing some connectors. Check and see if anything else was damaged. 

Were the slingshot 748 and 749 alternators interchangeable? 

IMG_2130.jpeg

8 minutes ago, johnr said:

if the wires have melted, how do you know the alternator has failed? surely its more likely that the connections were corroded or dirty causing them to overheat cos of the resistance?

Just making sure I have a spare in case it did fry it. So far it looks like it was just some crappy spade connectors that melted. 

42 minutes ago, george 1100 said:

That's very common. Most looms I've seen have that exact problem in varying degrees of failure

Not the first time I’ve seen them partially melted, just the first time I’ve been stranded by it. I’m gonna try and switch it back to the factory connectors tomorrow, threw a couple wire nuts on it today and already took it for a test ride, seems like nothing else was damaged. 

It's easy to check for something obvious in the wiring. In addition to the loom end, if you remove the alternator and then take the top off by removing the three flanged M5 nuts you can inspect both the connections on the alternator for corrosion.

• Like 1