Rs36 flat sided / 1127

I’ve recently came into possession  of some rs36 flat side mikuni carbs. 
I was wondering a couple of things and the first being, what are these carbs even from. Second being would it be worth running them over a bst36ss b12 carb and my stock 1127 gsxr engine or would it just be for the cool factor. 
I am running full custom exhaust and pod filters at the minute on a 155 jet. 

They aren't 'from' anything! They are aftermarket upgrade carbs primarily intended for race applications but widely adopted for road use. They are modular and can be adapted to fit multiple applications as can their brothers 34, 38 and 40mm. Yes they can be fitted to a Blandit and at a guess you might pick up 5 or 6hp but do some more tuning and 10hp could be possible and they do look cool but need a whole different riding style for their operation!

• Like 1

As above, a good upgrade on the standard b12/gsxr 36mm CV carbs for power/top end BUT if you don't know what they are off they may need re- spacing. If you don't know what your doing with carbs and theses type of carbs they will need setting up on a Dyna rolling road which won't be cheep. 

Also if they have not been stored properly they will need a strip down and good clean. 

You could just take your carbs off and see if theses will fit (right spacing) and give them a run, you maybe lucky and they came off a oil cooled motor ;)

Measure the spacings and then check on the jetting and needle position, which isn't exactly difficult. You can then cross reference to the Mikuni spec sheet in the RS manual (freely available on the interwebs) to see if anyone's been buggering about with them and if anything needs changing. If your spacings are good and you can get the inlets in the rubbers (good luck, especially with older rubbers) then they should work OK. I just stuck a new set of RSs on straight from the box and they performed very well, although there's always room for improvement. When the accelerator pumps kick in it's nothing like anything you get with CVs :)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 8:57 AM, MikeyVeitch said:

I’ve recently came into possession  of some rs36 flat side mikuni carbs. 
I was wondering a couple of things and the first being, what are these carbs even from. Second being would it be worth running them over a bst36ss b12 carb and my stock 1127 gsxr engine or would it just be for the cool factor. 
I am running full custom exhaust and pod filters at the minute on a 155 jet. 

Can You share more info regarding the BST setup? I have a stock GSX100F engine (130bhp) and have serious issues with setting up the "cruising" fueling (top end is perfect). It's extremely rich when at a minimum throttle at low revs... Also thinking about Mikuni RS36, but would like give it one more try with the CV carbs.

Can You write more about Your tuning experience of the BST carbs