barrel interchangability. gsx-f, gsxr, bandit, slabbie.

baldrick

I always thought it was the 750/600 barrels that are shorter than the 1100/1200 barrels: the barrels for the smaller capacity engines have fewer fins. The powerscreen engine was the 1st 1127 engine so my guess is all the 1127 barrels are interchangable. Beyond that, I am sure someone else with more knowledge will fill in the gaps :) Try the vault for the usual parts interchanagbility piece.

• Like 1

1127 from the gsxr or obviously the power screen will fit as well as the B12 but might have to clean the top crank case up abit. 1052 slabside will also fit bored for 1127 pistons but you would need to use a spacor plate on the bottom of the barrels as well. 

Might have some B12 pistons in a box somewhere which could be fitted to the 1127 barrels with a rebore. 

Edited by clivegto
41 minutes ago, clivegto said:

1127 from the gsxr or obviously the power screen will fit as well as the B12 but might have to clean the top crank case up abit. 1052 slabside will also fit bored for 1127 pistons but you would need to use a spacor plate on the bottom of the barrels as well. 

Might have some B12 pistons in a box somewhere which could be fitted to the 1127 barrels with a rebore. 

Does fitting B12 pistons increase the compression ratio of an 1127 engine?

36 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Does fitting B12 pistons increase the compression ratio of an 1127 engine?

No, B12 pistons are not as high compression ratio as 1127 but you could easily have the head skimmed to achieve that. Some lads from over the pond on this very site used to leave the base gasket out and just lap it in, this is about 0.5mm from memory to increase compression ratio on a standard B12 motor or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 7:54 PM, clivegto said:

Would 2 base gaskets work as a spacer plate? I have an almost brand new Wiseco 1109 kit for an 1100 slabby, a good set of  slabby barrels (and everything else slabby) and a pretty much stock good Blandit 12 engine. I was thinking of fitting this kit if it raised the compression on the B12, and also fitting the slabby cams. This would save the expense of rebuilding my slabby bottom end, which has a knackered output shaft bearing. What do you think?

3 hours ago, Dezza said:

Would 2 base gaskets work as a spacer plate? I have an almost brand new Wiseco 1109 kit for an 1100 slabby, a good set of  slabby barrels (and everything else slabby) and a pretty much stock good Blandit 12 engine. I was thinking of fitting this kit if it raised the compression on the B12, and also fitting the slabby cams. This would save the expense of rebuilding my slabby bottom end, which has a knackered output shaft bearing. What do you think?

Just measured a base gasket and there only 0.5mm. Just do a dry build to see what's needed. No reason you couldn't use ecen 4 base gaskets really. What size are the 1109 pistons. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, clivegto said:

Just measured a base gasket and there only 0.5mm. Just do a dry build to see what's needed. No reason you couldn't use ecen 4 base gaskets really. What size are the 1109 pistons. 

Dunno: they are in a box under 2 tonnes of junk so I will have to wait a bit to get to them for measuring. Another point is using a complete slabby top end on a B12 bottom end (with slabby 1100 clutch). Would this maintain high compression due to a slightly smaller combustion chamber? The potential problem here I see is due to the differences in the cam chain and whether an 1127/B12 cam cover will work on a slabby head, seeing as the chain tensioner thingy in the cover is completely different.

42 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Dunno: they are in a box under 2 tonnes of junk so I will have to wait a bit to get to them for measuring. Another point is using a complete slabby top end on a B12 bottom end (with slabby 1100 clutch). Would this maintain high compression due to a slightly smaller combustion chamber? The potential problem here I see is due to the differences in the cam chain and whether an 1127/B12 cam cover will work on a slabby head, seeing as the chain tensioner thingy in the cover is completely different.

If they're for a slabby which has 58mm stroke, then those pistons will be 78mm dia. 

From what I remember from another thread, the cover should be inter-changeable to suit which chain you're running.

• Like 1