Katana shifting trouble

cnap504

Recently got a non running 1982 Katana 1000, it had some typical long term lay up issues but I have gotten it running and riding reliably. On upshifts if I’m very deliberate it engages the next gear, anything less than a careful upshift requires a second attempt.  All the gears are there and I’ve been through all of them.  The clutch began to give up without warning when rolling on at highway speeds so pulled the cover and inner hub to find the outer basket nut had loosened some, hand tight with the lock tab washer still in place.  All the fiber plates were broken, the clutch considering it’s condition worked a lot better than it should have,  I’m putting it back up with new fibers, new oem springs, new nut and washer, the inner and outer hubs have some grooves which I filed and sanded fairly smooth.  While this stuff is out should I check the shift shaft “pawl” and spring?  How to do this and what to look for?  Shift drum detent plunger and spring?

Thanks 

Edited by cnap504
typo

The small spring that works on the gear shift stopper cam ( parts nos 09443-08019) , it is accessible and can be changed by dropping the sump plate, it was gone on mine when I bought the bike  in 1984  (the bike went through 3 owners in 2 years because of the gearchange and they could not fix it )

Sounds similar to yours , changed mine and bike has been fine since then 

• Like 1

I went through the route of taking out the clutch , swapping the gear change shaft etc etc and nothing worked, I spoke to a chap who drag raced gsx1100's who put me onto that spring.

I bought a new sump gasket and when I dropped the sump pan the spring was sitting in two pieces in the bottom of it, the bent section on one end that clips over a retaining boss in the bottom of the engine casings had snapped off .

That was in 1984 and 37 years and 50,000 miles later the replacement is still fine