750 gsxr slingshot 1990 blinkers

fab

i have a weird problem both blinkers work but only the left one flashes on the dash

the dash only has 1 light for both blinkers and i have changed flasher can, swapped wiring over on the right blinker in case it was wired wrong, checked all wiring and connections.

i bought the bike not running so i dont know how long or why this has been happening. 

i had a similar problem on my ET 2 weeks ago, turned out to be a loose earth wire behind the headlight. !!!!!!  

but thinking about it, the single dash warning light will pick up a live from both indicators so it could send power to both sides. 

Edited by TonyGee

A single warning light has to be wired to the flasher relay before its output is routed to the direction switch which then routes it left or right - the two sides should never connect unless if fitted with a hazard light system. A dual warning light can be wired to each side after the relay as they are independent.

On these, the dashboard indicator light bulb is wired to each of 12v feeds of the actual indicator bulbs, unlike the other warning lights of the dash who all have a common earth connection.

I would check the earths again as suggested by Tony, because a bad earth is know to play with the flashing ability, and check continuity of the wires of the dash bulb to the wires of the indicators either side

okay, thanks for the input fellas. i will check all earths and wiring again.

there are only 2 wires coming out of the dash bulb and go into the loom. so without pulling the loom apart i will have trouble tracing them.

when i swapped flasher cans over the std one only used 2 wires(yes it was a 2 wire flasher can)

but there is a 3rd wire(black/white strip) that is not used? maybe the bike should have a 3 pin flasher can and not a 2 pin?

I think it is always a 2 pin flasher for oil cooled bikes

The wires that go from the tiny bulb holder should be black and light green, those tap into the same colour wires that go to feed the left and right side indicators on the bike.

Maybe the wire that links to the right indicators (the green one i think) has a problem ? 

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 1

fixed it but not sure why it was doing it.

last owner put led globes in the dash lights

I put a std globe in the blinker dash light and both left and right blinkers now make the light flash.

change  globe back to led and only one side makes it flash, turn over led 180 other side works?

so i gather polarity problem try swapping wires over on the blinkers, still same problem?

i will just leave it with the std globe but the led globe is much better as you can see it in bright light.

unless someone has some insight into why it would be doing this.

LED's will only flow voltage in one direction - the indicators are powered / earthed one way for left, and reversed the other way for right hence why will work one way and not the other. This is assuming its only one dash warning light? If there are two then just correct orientation of the LED's should work!

• Like 1