full fork rebuild help !!!

Davy1100

ive ordered new stantions from tarrozzi for my 1100 k ive got new seal kit and bushes never stripped forks before so im sorta brickin it lol any advice or helpful hints would be much appreaciated is there something i can improvise for fitting the seals as dont want to damage them also what oil should i use im 19 st springs are standard but hoping to fit uprated set in the future when money allows 

to get the bolt out of the bottom of the forks, undo it before you take the cap off so the spring has some force on the damper rod.  A windy gun or electric impact driver will help.  Otherwise you will need to stop the damper rod turning.  A length of broom handle down the stanchion into the damper rod (or even the correct damper holding tool) may be needed to stop it turning.

• Like 1

I take it you are removing the stanchions from the knuckles, good luck, it was a real bastard to unscrew them once I had drilled the tiny grub screws out, in the end I heated them up and put the old stanchion in a big lathe at work to stop it turning and stuck a long bar through the spindle hole, they were really tight:(

as to fitting the seals cover the bush recesses with sellotape to stop the sharp edges cutting the seal, also get a seal driver or make one it will help no end:tu

1100K has RWU forks so there are no knuckles to remove.

As said, use a windy gun to unscrew the bottom bolt, then unscrew the top cap, and you can pull out the complete internals. Compress the spring somehow and unscrew the top cap from the damper, remove spring, and pump the damper a few times while holding it upside down, all the old oil will now come out.

Then remove the dust cap and circlip holding the seal in place and with some firm pulls the stanchion + seal + bushes come out of the fork lower. Clean everything very well with some petrol and a brush before reassembling the forks.

With some practice (I've done a few hundred forks by now) it takes me around 20 minutes from start to finish.

Here is an exploded view of the forks.

• Like 1

massive thanks everyone great advice i now feel confident enough to tackle them myself what do you use to drift the fork seal into place ive seen the proper tool but dont fancy spending £50 for something i might only use once has anyone improvised a tool ?? and what fork oil do most of you use 

you can buy the tool for around 20 euros here, but yes it's a bit expensive for one time. If you're really careful you can push the bush and seal in place with a hammer and a screwdriver. But it's easy to f*ck up and you don't want to be found by a friend or a neighbour doing it so lock the door before you start.

I use Valvoline Fork oil 10W. 

• Like 1

you can buy the tool for around 20 euros here, but yes it's a bit expensive for one time. If you're really careful you can push the bush and seal in place with a hammer and a screwdriver. But it's easy to f*ck up and you don't want to be found by a friend or a neighbour doing it so lock the door before you start.

I use Valvoline Fork oil 10W. 

thanks captain can you post the link for the tool again its not workin thats not a bad price 

cheapest tool for knocking seals in is a peace of waist pipe inch and a half cut it a couple of inches longer than the fork leg so when you slide it over the leg when forks are back to gether it sits a couplke of inches over the top cut the waste pipe up its length so you can open it up over the leg slid it down onto the seal then tap it with a hammer easy fuckin peasy and free if you have some lieing around i would post some picks if i new how

• Like 3