GSX1100G Cracked cylinder head cover

MikeSwe

Hi,

New to this forum and wanted to get your opinion on my cracked cover for the cylinder head.

Intstalling the cover after i made the valve adjustment today i heard a loud crack, it was when i torqued the bolt by the arrow.

I had som trouble manuvering in the cover and i think i must have dropped the gasket around the spark plug and when tightening the bolt i stretched the cover beyond its limits.

So now i have a crack going looking somewhat like the line i put in the exploded view, it also goes through the oilfeed line that is cast into the cover.

Not a good start to the day, messing up like this.

I see three options that i have.

- Put the cover back and torque it down with all in place and hope for the best

- Take a rotating file like a dremel and machining a wider area along the crack and fill it with something like JB weld.

- Source a used cover

What are your thoughts on this?

Sorry for any misspelling, I live in sweden.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Mike

suzuki-gsx1100g-1994-r-e02-e04-e18-e22-e24-e25-cylinder-head-cover_bigsue0082fig-1_6ae5.gif

If you accept that the cover is potentially scrap, then you could use your suggestions as a 3 point plan - if the first don't work then try the second and if that doesn't work then the cover is scrap and point 3 will be required. A s/hand cover should be easily sourced as most 1100 / 1200 types will fit - only breather tower covers are the usual difference (as far as I know?) Welding is an option subject to crack size and what it affects as those bolts are part of the oiling system - bit more involved but may save the cover?

45 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Those covers are always something to tread warily around. Short spanner recommended! And welcome!

Thanks! 

I used a torque wrench set to 11nm as specified in the workshop manual.

Im quiet sertain that my fault was not realising that one of the gaskets around the spark plug had dropped of the cover  O.o

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

If you accept that the cover is potentially scrap, then you could use your suggestions as a 3 point plan - if the first don't work then try the second and if that doesn't work then the cover is scrap and point 3 will be required. A s/hand cover should be easily sourced as most 1100 / 1200 types will fit - only breather tower covers are the usual difference (as far as I know?) Welding is an option subject to crack size and what it affects as those bolts are part of the oiling system - bit more involved but may save the cover?

Just refitted the cover and when running i get a oil leak on top of the cover,.

I assume it leaks internally also thereby losing oil pressure to the rest of that part of the valvetrain.

So i decied to go for a used cover, found online for a resonable price so i bought it.

Edited by MikeSwe
spelling :D