GS 1150 - Shifting trouble, screwing of the pooch, and a few related questions.

Hey all, 

Over the last few rides, downshifting from 5th to 4th gear has been increasingly stiff. The actual gear change is ok, but I've had to push harder on the gearshift lever to shift. Sort of a tight, resistance to movement type of feel. Shifting up thru the gears is fine, clutch adjustment is good. 

In a wishful thinking / check easy fixes move, I had a look at the shifter pivot and linkage today. All fine there,  other then some wear / slop. Nothing was tight or binding. Next was off with the sprocket cover. Shift shaft looks ok and no signs of problems where it passes thru the cover. 

Then the pooch screwing began. I removed the retaining clip for the shift shaft. I had read in the past the past that if this clip was taken off to NOT push in on the shaft. I didn't,  but I did pull on and it moved  approximately an 1/8 - 1/4 inch outward. Unconcerned, I gave the seal, etc, a look and put it back together. Shift shaft washer / clip back on, Sprocket cover back on, linkage on, no shift actuation...... I'm assuming the shift gears in the clutch housing  are no longer meshed.

Questions- what should I  look for as the cause of the initial stiff downshifting issue?

Regarding the shift shaft screw up- is it just a matter of pulling the clutch cover and clutch basket off and resetting the gears / spring? 

Any insight is appreciated. 

Glen.  

Edited by Dorkburger
Grammar

Some funny business / operator error must have occurred when the shift shaft pulled out the 1/4” I’m not sure how it was in like it was. If the clip somehow slipped out of the groove previous to my touching it, holy shit am I lucky as I was flogging on the highway at 80-85 for a good half hour last night. I pulled the clutch and it was indeed disengaged. Back in place, clip on properly. Runs thru the gears by hand. 

As found. Gears not engaged and incorrectly or indexed. 

77058FAC-1080-4690-B281-40AEB38AC2AB.thumb.jpeg.15e3e6c43ad4f66cff68300b9221d37a.jpeg

Edited by Dorkburger
Clarify.
13 hours ago, Dorkburger said:

Some funny business / operator error must have occurred when the shift shaft pulled out the 1/4” I’m not sure how it was in like it was. If the clip somehow slipped out of the groove previous to my touching it, holy shit am I lucky as I was flogging on the highway at 80-85 for a good half hour last night. I pulled the clutch and it was indeed disengaged. Back in place, clip on properly. Runs thru the gears by hand. 77058FAC-1080-4690-B281-40AEB38AC2AB.thumb.jpeg.15e3e6c43ad4f66cff68300b9221d37a.jpeg

i would double check as from that picture you dont have it indexed right ...

Should be like this 

259164436_SHOULDBELIKETHIS.thumb.jpg.fc95a62010d4e8129488a466ed2d80d6.jpg

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Dorkburger said:

Some funny business / operator error must have occurred when the shift shaft pulled out the 1/4” I’m not sure how it was in like it was. If the clip somehow slipped out of the groove previous to my touching it, holy shit am I lucky as I was flogging on the highway at 80-85 for a good half hour last night. I pulled the clutch and it was indeed disengaged. Back in place, clip on properly. Runs thru the gears by hand. 

As found. Gears not engaged and incorrectly or indexed. 

77058FAC-1080-4690-B281-40AEB38AC2AB.thumb.jpeg.15e3e6c43ad4f66cff68300b9221d37a.jpeg

your a lucky man

Its fixed.. I'm stupid on a few levels. I'll share in hopes that others take heed.

The shifter position that I like causes the shifter to foul the sidestand on downshift. I use a bent nickel held in place by the adhesive of the day to hold the sidestand down a touch to stop the interference. The nickel fell out. I didn't notice until I went thru the entire process  and was setting the shifter position. 

The shift shaft clip situation remains a mystery.

Was it a waste of time? No. It shed more light on my workmanship, and it wasn't good. 

I replaced the clutch sleeve in 2015. During disassembly yesterday,  I noticed that the clutch hub nut lock washer wasn't bent up onto the nut. 

When I started to put it together yesterday, I snugged the clutch nut with a mini impact gun to hold things in place- to be final torqued later. I completely forgot and started to install the hat. Thankfully I caught my mistake and called it a night. 

I have absolutely no recollection of fussing with holding the cluch in place to properly torque the nut and suspect I missed it entirely last time..... and got really lucky. 

Its back together and I took a quick loop around the block. All seems well. 

Feel free to mock me....

Edited by Dorkburger
  • Like 4

I'm sure behind most 'engineering mistakes' lies a distraction that occurred! It is hard doing what is apparently a 'mundane' task, your mind races forward to something more interesting and things get missed - i've twice missed folding the tabs on final drive sprockets and yes they both came undone ! ! ! Task lists and tick boxes look nurdy but they do work, and btw - age may bring wisdom but it doesn't improve memory !

• Like 1

True on both... one positive thing on this was my mental state. I didn't freak out, jump to conclusions, envision my summer season of riding was about to be lost, and generally just took things  as found and carried on.   Perhaps a mellowing as I approach my 50th year. 

• Like 1