Suzuki Gs750 need help

Franklin

If you just want to test the engine then a likely problem will be the carbs as the rest of the bike is a testament to disregard & abuse, these will be no exception so you may get sparks but no fuel = no running!

A ghetto wiring solution is to connect bat + to orange/white of coils and CDI, ensure CDI yellow and blue (check these colours as may be different on a GS750) are connected to ign. pickups, black/yellow to coil 2/3, white to coil 1/4, any black/white to earth / chassis ground, Heavy red connected to starter soli and then to starter motor and heavy black from battery to earth / chassis ground. That will put power to the Ign system permanently and will be unswitched - take care ! - Bridging the soli terminals with a spanner will turn the engine over and should run ........ if the fuel system works.

As this is ghetto - you can't turn engine off it runs, you'll have to pull the orange/white off the battery to kill it!

It would be better to find a wire with colour - work out what it serves from the manual wire diagram and make the loom good between the items it serves, one wire at a time till complete and everything works - there really are no shortcuts long term and doesn't cost too much money!.................carbs might though!

I like using a bottle of "starting fluid" for diagnosing fuel versus spark problems.  Spray into the air intake and give the engine a spin.  If it still won't fire up, you most likely have an ignition issue.  If it will fire up and run a few seconds, most likely a fuel system issue.  If the carbs sat for a long time with old gas in them, expect them to be gummed up.  Carb cleaning or even rebuild will be in order.  Fresh fuel will help you too.

I have a theory about extra ground (earth) wires.  There may have at one time been a service bulletin about electrical problems due to components not being properly grounded.  Rather than having service technicians spend their time performing electrical troubleshooting, just install additional ground wires.  If the problem goes away, send the customer on his way.  I have no evidence to prove my theory, but I too have seen non-factory looking ground wires. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:56 AM, Gixer1460 said:

True - and they are grounded through the body and mounting. Never come across a rubber mounted solenoid, always hard mounted mine without any problems!

No, they're not.

On my 78 1000, the electrical panel is rubber mounted and not grounded to the frame. Same with the battery box. Same thing with other models.

Seen it many times (this being one of them) "The lights are on, but the bike won't crank"  Ground the solenoid, and voila!

1 hour ago, BigT said:

No, they're not.

On my 78 1000, the electrical panel is rubber mounted and not grounded to the frame. Same with the battery box. Same thing with other models.

Seen it many times (this being one of them) "The lights are on, but the bike won't crank"  Ground the solenoid, and voila!

I was referring to the solenoid - not what it is mounted to!

If anyone is daft enough to fit a body earthed (single control wire) solenoid to an isolated / rubber mounting plate without additional earthing strap then . . . . . . :stop:

43 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

I was referring to the solenoid - not what it is mounted to!

If anyone is daft enough to fit a body earthed (single control wire) solenoid to an isolated / rubber mounting plate without additional earthing strap then . . . . . . :stop:

Welcome to "numbty previous owners R us" xD 

4 hours ago, Franklin said:

1.  just ordered a compression kit.. i got several projects going on so its good to have one at least.

2. How does one check spark on these old inline 4's? Pull one plug at a time and crank it on the starter motor?

3. Should i pull the carbs off to see what they look like?

1. Make sure it has a 12mm thread adaptor - older bikes tend to use them.

2. Easier on the starter if all 4 are out - put plugs in caps and rest the threads on cam cover. Remove tank as sparks can ignite any fuel vapours

3. I think everyone will answer the same - Oh Yes! If they've sat without being drained for anytime be prepared  for nastiness!

On 2/2/2020 at 5:12 PM, BigT said:

No, they're not.

On the GS1000 the entire electrical panel is grounded by a wire from the loom.

The frame isn't a ground.