Spark Plug Choice Info Gsx 1100 EF

akronos

Goodmorning everyone. I removed the spark plug caps and noticed that the ceramic resistor lost the copper at the base and therefore resisted too much. I then replaced the ceramic resistor with a copper bar. Now I ask myself: which spark plug should I mount? Br8EA or B8EA? 

I tried a B8EA (dating back to the end of the year 80, with the brown writing) and causes a huge spark !!

Regarding resistors. A rule of thumb is that you should have some resistance somewhere between the coil and plug tip. Either in wire, plug cap or plug. Exact value isn't that critical in most cases, something in range of 1-10 kilo-Ohms should work reasonably well. Too low value will cause interference with other electronic devices, in worst case with bike's own electronics. Too high value will weaken the spark.

In practice this means one resistive element in high voltage path. Combining two, like plug and cap, usually results slightly too high total resistance. So with resistor caps it's better to use plugs without resistors. And vice versa.