I'd look at where you're wasting what you have before looking in the engine for more.

Less rolling resistance. Run the tyres with more PSI to reduce drag.

Less aerodynamic resistance. Fit a fairing off a 125 race bike and lower the bike.

Cut down any brake/chain/bearing drag,

Practice his starts and gear changes. .

Look at the gearing. Is 1st really low ? Can you gear it lower on the sprockets so it's flat in top at the the end and he launches in 2nd, thus getting it into the closer ratio upper gears sooner.  

No point in looking for more power to make up for pushing a barn door.

• Like 2

I'd look at where you're wasting what you have before looking in the engine for more.

Less rolling resistance. Run the tyres with more PSI to reduce drag.

Less aerodynamic resistance. Fit a fairing off a 125 race bike and lower the bike.

Cut down any brake/chain/bearing drag,

Practice his starts and gear changes. .

Look at the gearing. Is 1st really low ? Can you gear it lower on the sprockets so it's flat in top at the the end and he launches in 2nd, thus getting it into the closer ratio upper gears sooner.  

No point in looking for more power to make up for pushing a barn door.

Thanks for the reply , got another frame and planning on building a super lightweight with nothing on it , and he does need practice getting it off the line, going down another tooth off the front for his next outing in october.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi again , just fitting heavier clutch springs to the rg125 and noticed 4mm or so of rotation between basket and the helical gear , I guess it should be riveted solid if anything like any clutch I have played with in the past? the rivets are not moving from the outside so maybe the basket has worn slots so the rivets move round?

chances are it will have shock absorber springs in the back of the clutch, and like most suzukis of the era, they wear and compress or break. take the basket out and have a look, you should be able to repair it or else see if theres another used basket thats not so worn.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

how far do you wanna take it ? here in holland there are al kinds of moped races upwards tot 200cc. running twin 90cc cilinders making near 60BHP. 

to stroke can make tons of power for race use if tuned right. 

lose weight, get it nice and low, tons of practice and then get tuning!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...