1100 gearing

Jay_111

So I just replaced the chain and sprockets on the 11 as the old stuff looked a bit past it, I didn't bother checking the gearing and just went back to standard with 15/48. Using nice shiney Renthals and a lovely gold D&D. Thing is, whilst out today and with it only having 5 gears it felt like it needed a 6th which I didn't remember it feeling like that before.. Although I haven't ridden it for a year.. I've binned the old ones so I can't tell you what they were.. It made me think..

What gearing do you run or recommend?

Jay

Edited by Jay_111

Just checked my parts manual for my 91M 1100, front sprocket is 15t, (part number 27510-48B00) rear is 48t (part number 64511-40C01), not sure if this helps any?  ... I have a yet to be fitted 530 chain conversion using a superprox rear sprocket which is 48t and renthal front sprocket on 15t...i totally forgot changing the pitch of chain could change the gearing. Will be interesting to see if i notice much difference...

Looks like i was talking twaddle earlier...for some reason i had assumed the pitch on a 532 and  a 530 chain would be slightly different, hence i assumed this would would have a slight change of gearing. Luckily my stupidity has been pointed out and i have just seen the pitch is the same at 15.88mm ...

Captain, I was probably using the wrong terminology,  my thinking was if the pitch was smaller, the diameter of the spockets would need to be slightly smaller to still have the same amount of teeth, thus it would effect the speed, (slightly)...anyway it is a moot point as the pitch is the same. I didn't mean to hijack the original question posed, so hopefully Jay got the answers he was after. Cheers.

the diameter of the spockets would need to be slightly smaller to still have the same amount of teeth, thus it would effect the speed,

Gearing depends on the ratio between driving and driven sprocket. 15/48 is still 15/48 even with a smaller pitch.

If you don't understand this ask someone else to explain, I can't be fucked anymore. Tried once on the temp site but the stupid there was so strong I gave up.

• Like 3