MK1 600 Bandit / petrol in oil

Gsx1100er

My mate has a Mk 1 600 Bandit and hes just called me to say the engine oil level has risen past the glass and on removing the oil filler cap it stinks of petrol. Is there a common fault for this to happen ?  The petcock is always set to ON , never on prime position. Would petrol leak through if the floats were damaged ?

Any help greatly appreciated

PS hes also got an oil leak at the top joint face on the gen cover. Fitted a new cover but still leaks ( only when ridden ), doesn't leak at tickover. Would the two things be related ??

Thanks.

Take the carbs off. 

Buy a remote tank from Demon Tweeks

Fill remote tank with fuel

Fuel should start pissing out the carbs.

Order a carb seal kit and a new set of needle float valves.

Rebuilt then run the remote tank test again and let us know how you get on (should be dry as a bone). DO NOT PLAY WITH THE FLOAT HEIGHTS...they dont go out for no reason 

I advise using OEM parts ( or Wemoto)

Edited by wsn03
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Gsx1100er said:

cheers chaps, the tap isn't passing fuel when engine off.  fuel is not leaking past the vacuum diaphragm either. fuel flows ok on prime , but not in the On position , nor on reserve. ordered a set of new float needles and a carb kit.

thanks again

Gaz

Nice one.

Make sure you test them for flooding on a bench with a remote tank after rebuild. I've had new parts fail from reputed dealers - hence I only use oem these days.

Leave on test for 24 hrs. Mark the fuel level with a bit of tape. If you dont lose more than 1 or 2 mm in 24hrs your problems are sorted 

What you are all forgetting is on side stand floats and fuel are not level and can weep especially on old worn out parts if few level is high. Also have you checked fuel height this may be route cause making it run really rich.

Could even be worse ie rings worn out, is it smoking etc but doubt the rings have gone be getting all sorts of issues.

Edited by jonny1bump