A few parts I've made for the build so far

I thought I'd show a few parts I've been making for my bike over the last few months, I'm pretty pleased with them but now I've bought a tig so I'm learning to weld so I can get the subframe all sorted as that job has dragged on a while now, argon isn't cheap tho I've found lol.

tmp_29122-IMG_20180121_184514_721-289191282.jpg

tmp_29122-IMG_20180317_172746_8201109593258.jpg

tmp_29122-IMG_20180130_193103_095-999382330.jpg

tmp_29122-IMG_20180129_203425_3691225110129.jpg

tmp_29122-IMG_20180128_185610_129-1600866707.jpg

tmp_29122-IMG_20180413_190728_692-1215742474.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks I'm trying to use brass in this bike a lot to hopefully go with a black and gold colour scheme.

I'm enjoying the tig welding but the argon gas is the down side, trying to go easy on it but you have to use a lot of it really to learn, might see if I can get some practice in at work, at least it'll be free practice time then lol

Edited by Jpich85

Thanks madb I appreciate that, I did have a bit of trail and error with them, they took the longest to make spent about a month messing about with them, the stainless ones are a lot better tho but were really hard to bend and get a good radius on the bends, came up with a little mack that got the bend pretty good, once I can weld I can finish them and add the rear brake cylinder somewhere on it lol.

a set of cnc'd ones were a few hundred quid and I couldn't afford them.

Edited by Jpich85

Awesome work. I wish I was able to do the stuff you are doing. Soon once I find someone to teach me and get some extra coin in my pocket. But I do have a question, what is the point of cam links (I believe that is what is pictured in the 4th picture).

Also, if I wanted something worked up would you be available and of course enticement would be available haha.

• Like 1

gut feel is - you are one of us who gets the satisfaction in building a bike - as much from taking on solving and making the long list of parts with the tools available to you - each part is in itself a job done, the sum of the parts leading to a complete bike is the end game but not the goal - really appreciate this and for me its a key part to the success of this forum that attracts like minded " quality bodgers"  - end result will be a bike that can be looked over with interest taking in all the unique individual parts more so than the sum of parts / complete bike :tu

ps - 100% agree, cost of argon is a real burden  - keep yir joints as tight as possible so your fusing parent to parent without filler using a smaller tungsten and flip the cables and revert to stick for any bigger none fussy stuff - brazing / alum TIG is very Argon hungry - preheating helps speed things up / reduces argon consumption - my "moto" for this is - cost of argon is just one of them need things - like bog roll, you just have to have it

• Like 3

Thanks again I really appreciate it, it's nice to have someone like the parts I make as sometimes I'm not sure if there actually any good lol, I show a few of my mates and the wife and they just say... Oh yeah that's nice. And don't realise the time and headaches I get trying to make things.

The cam links increase the oil flow to the head, I think they are only really needed in more tuned engines with bigger bores and I think high lift cams but I wanted some for my bike and after looking at the price of them I tried to make my own and that's how they turned out.
I'm sorry nuuageslim but I couldn't commit to making you anything unfortunately, I'd love to make bike parts all day long but with work the wife and learning how to tig weld now I just don't think I have the time.

nlovien that's actually how I feel about my bikes, it's never off my mind wondering how to make some thing or how to solve a problem with a part I'm trying to make, each part is a project and once it's done it feels good and I can move on to the next. Id love to have cnc parts but that's not my expertise so I make my parts with the tools and skills I've got and enjoy learning a long the way.

I do love riding my bikes but making and building one is more my thing.

12 hours ago, Jpich85 said:

I show a few of my mates and the wife and they just say... Oh yeah that's nice. And don't realise the time and headaches I get trying to make things.

yea, get them together and you can observe the synchronised "la la la la rolling of eyes moment - is he finished wafflin yet ?" :D :tu no worries - your not alone

Edited by nlovien
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

No, no they don't. They bleed oil from the high pressure bearing feed circuit to the head cooling spraybar (which is lower pressure).

Thanks gammaboy I didn't realise that, I'm not too familiar with the engine side of things yet but I'll be trying to rebuild the top end on this bike hopefully.

Is it better to have lower pressure in the oil circuit?

Edited by Jpich85