non starting advice please.

Been out for a ride on my 750j slingy this afternoon all was well until I was on my way home and it started running lumpy and rough ,got me home though ,now it wont start ,the starter turns freely and there is petrol getting to the carbs but it wont strike up, havent got round to pulling the plugs to look for a spark yet,will do that tomorrow time permitting,any thoughts please?...

Right...I;ve spent all day ,up to now ,trying to figure out what the problem is, i have changed the plugs ,fitted fresh coils/leads and the bike will start on full choke but its not firing on all cylinders ,sometimes its 3&4 other times its 2&3/1&2 etc ,if it was 1&4 or 2&3 pots all the time I could narrow it down to the coils but its random , AND I've got a spark on all 4 plugs, the spark does look a bit weak though, not strong blue like it should be...and petrol is getting through the carbs cos the plugs were wet when I put the fresh ones in....looking in the workshop manual its starting to point to the CDI/ECU...any advice from you knowledgeable chaps would be most welcome.

Edited by philwright
typo

Thanks for all replies...I have tried it with fuel tap on all positions, just seems strange that the bike was running okay last sunday when out for a ride ,started to notice lumpy running and slight loss of oomph when overtaking a van, thought nothing of it, it  got progressively rougher until I got home when it wouldn't start at all, just left it overnight and tried it next day and it would only start reluctantly on full choke but not on all pots as described above, will not run at all off choke, and I must admit  first thoughts was fuel/carb problem, i am checking which cylinders are firing by feeling which downpipes are hot, and they are randomly firing on and off, no pattern....next job is to take carbs off and give them a good once over,i'm not really sure what to be looking for though, carbs are a bit of a dark art to me...any pointers appreciated, I will still get a used CDI though just to rule things out, theres one or two on the bay, if it makes no difference when fitted I can return it.

2 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

Just check you are getting a good fuel flow out the tap first. It could be clogged up.

I have taken the tap out of the tank just to check and the filter looks like new...how do I check the flow with tank disconnected from carbs, I thought fuel flow was controlled by vacuum action,with tap on free flow (prime) am I right in thinking petrol should flow whether connected to carb pipes or not?

Just realised ,the vacuum pipe between the tank and the carbs is missing, i assume this is crucial to fuel flow!!...it must have come loose and been lost last time I rode it, I will get a new vacuum pipe connected tomorrow and see what happens ,it cant be as simple as that surely?...will also have a smell for petrol in the oil and change  it if needs be....fingers crossed.;)

• Like 2

SORTED......just fitted a new vacuum pipe between tank and number 2 carb top stub and it fired up straight away on all 4 pots, unbelievable that I missed such an obvious thing as a poxy 5 inch length of plastic pipe, and that it would have such an effect on the bikes running, Thanks to all the replies above ...I;m off for a blast!:)

• Like 1

Tried it on prime before I sussed out the missing vacuum pipe, fuel got through but it still ran like shite , I thought prime just filled the float bowls after they have been emptied, with vacuum pipe fitted it meters the fuel flow properly to all carbs ...I think...anyway all ok now.

No, the metering of fuel is done by the float, the prime just keeps a constant flow to it. The Vac will stop all fuel movement when engine isn't turning over.

Downside to prime is if a float sticks (which they do) then the freeflow will just keep going & dump all that fuel thru carbs into & past the cylinder/pistons into your oil ;) 

With Vac, the fuel will freeflow if the float sticks, but as it's running, it will mostly burn it off before getting past the pistons, & will stop flow when engine is shut off.

Edited by CockneyRick