Project; Whizzy Pop Slingshot

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update, John has got it running nicely, to a point...

Last week during mapping it started leaking oil from the hose feeding the turbo at 3-4k rpm so that was sorted and mapping continued this week. 

Next hold up is that oil is leaking out the exhaust. Not just blue smokey oil, it's literally dripping out the exhaust.

As it stands its mapped up to 5k and its running real nice, idles smooth with good throttle response, picks up good etc. Just pisses oil out.

So its back to wsr where they'll check it over, pull the turbo out, send it off for a rebuild or whatever is needed.

Its getting closer....

One thing I have learnt is its rarely the turbo itself causing these issues. They are a pretty basic device really. 

With the drain, where in relation to the clutch basket is it? Could the clutch be throwing oil up the drain and thus slowing the drain rate?  This effect would probably get worse with revs too. Or even if the clutch basket was very close to the drain point inside the motor, there might be a windage component as well

Id guess wsr will check that before pulling the turbo out. It is leaking even on tickover though.

I bought it off a member on here a few years back and it hadn't long been rebuilt and had a carbon seal so it should be ok, unless its been damaged from being around the shed all that time.

Trouble is the bike is a good 3 hours drive away so its not worth me bringing it home to spend a couple of hours looking over it, even going up there for a few hours is a full day plus fuel.

I'll see if I can upload the vid John sent me.

Edited by Danm54

Indeed just get it to drain in a bucket then you know it's the turbo, ffcourse it could be a bad rebuild also.

Thanks for putting up the vid I have been waiting for this moment a long time just as you I so wanted to know if your set up still sounded like a proper old draw through 

And it does very nice

Alot of oil can linger in the snail, or even drain back down from the turbo coating the inside of the up pipe and pooling  in the collector, this being the lowest point of the exhaust. So one event of oil passing the seals can have on going simptons. The only way to trouble shoot is unfortunately to strip all the exhaust off ,clean, re assemble and test again. Very tedious indeed lol

Alot of oil can linger in the snail, or even drain back down from the turbo coating the inside of the up pipe and pooling  in the collector, this being the lowest point of the exhaust. So one event of oil passing the seals can have on going simptons. The only way to trouble shoot is unfortunately to strip all the exhaust off ,clean, re assemble and test again. Very tedious indeed lol

Don't agree with pooling in the up pipe! That is the hottest point (around the collector) and any oil would be burnt off and the thing would be smoking like a Steam Engine! I'd say, looking at the clean oil, its turbo seal related - either fubar'd or badly fitted? You said you are  using a dash 10 drain - is it horizontal anywhere or vertical drop throughout? Its possibly backing up in the pipe and overwhelming the seal?

It's more horizontal than vertical but its got a decent fall all the way.

I flow tested the feed on my standard gsxr and its flowing about 2 litres a minute at 6-7k I think. The drain should take that, unless there's something else at play as well.

Pic of the drain, thats quite a short pipe too.

20150117_192549_zpsgxh0ekua.jpg

Edited by Danm54

I always enlarge the breather on the cover and   Make and extra in the clutchcover.

so you might want to try that first before spending money 

you can check easily by removing the oilfiller plug and push in a big long hose there to prevent it from spitting oil while idling

Edited by Leblowski

Yea I may have overlooked how important the extra breathers are, makes sense really especially with a fresh motor where I'll probably be getting a bit of blow by on the rings.

Looks like I'll be bringing it home this weekend anyway, need to get some finished pics for the insurance.

I'll pull the turbo etc and give it a clean out and check over then try it with the filler cap removed.

Whats the opinions on catch tanks?

Worth making one with a drain to the cases or just run hose and filters behind the fairing?

Personally I ran a catch tank ( but was racing as well so better to have a recirc catch tank and not oil the track after forgetting to empty the can!) This is based on the fact that a tank will need the same amount of vents as are run to it..................i've seen tanks with 3x lines in and only 1x 12mm K&N to vent - it just don't work!