Rwu forks on Gsxr 750 L

Hawky

34 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Im pretty sure k1 750 usd's are the same length. I ran them in my race bike with the back end jacked up a fair way too. Had no problems with it. Handled ace, enough that the frame became the limiting factor

Did you get the front tyre hoping when you really leaned on the front on entry in fast corners?

1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

Did you get the front tyre hoping when you really leaned on the front on entry in fast corners?

Used to get it a bit. Was always worst at padock hill at brands.

What was more noticeable was the bike telling me i was close to the limit on really fast stuff, like corrams at Snett, start to get a gentle cycling of the bars, which was the headstock twisting slightly, dont go any quicker indication.

Was the main reason I swapped to the Spondon. But to be honest I think a slabby frame is better than a slingy

12 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Used to get it a bit. Was always worst at padock hill at brands.

What was more noticeable was the bike telling me i was close to the limit on really fast stuff, like corrams at Snett, start to get a gentle cycling of the bars, which was the headstock twisting slightly, dont go any quicker indication.

Was the main reason I swapped to the Spondon. But to be honest I think a slabby frame is better than a slingy

Sounds familiar.  Charlies2 at Cadwell was where I first noticed it, tyre pressure helped a bit, but  it reared it's head again big time at Jerez feels like the frame or forks flexing and releasing.  I put it down to my Eblag suspension set-up.    

I've since spoken to a very quick ex F1 and Superbike racer who did a one off race in 2005 on a very trick 1216 motored 750rrk who described the same thing.

Ah well i'm building up a 750k chassis to put my 1216 motor in to race next year. I'll be paying lots of attention to the engine mounts to get them shimmed as best I can.  I've done the same on my slabbie too, to try and improve things.

2 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Im pretty sure k1 750 usd's are the same length. I ran them in my race bike with the back end jacked up a fair way too. 

Did you use the original clipons with this setup? I think if we had highers bars on our bike, it would've been fine; it handled great, I just didn't physically fit  :) 

21 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

Sounds familiar.  Charlies2 at Cadwell was where I first noticed it, tyre pressure helped a bit, but  it reared it's head again big time at Jerez feels like the frame or forks flexing and releasing.  I put it down to my Eblag suspension set-up.    

I've since spoken to a very quick ex F1 and Superbike racer who did a one off race in 2005 on a very trick 1216 motored 750rrk who described the same thing.

Ah well i'm building up a 750k chassis to put my 1216 motor in to race next year. I'll be paying lots of attention to the engine mounts to get them shimmed as best I can.  I've done the same on my slabbie too, to try and improve things.

Mate of mine did a lot of bracing on his slingy frame, filled some bits round the headstock and added gusseting in from the swingarm mount upwards. Said it made a difference

29 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

Oh  @Hawky I've  got  750j  and L forks as well as 600 srad and  600k2 forks in the garage I'll measure up the extended lengths of them tonight if that's any help.

You got some 600 forks and yokes spare? Are they 43mm?

Back on the frame thing. I never got round to try it but i reckon swapping the front rubber mounts for solid ally ones would make the motor a stressed member and help stop headstock twisting

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

You got some 600 forks and yokes spare? Are they 43mm?

Back on the frame thing. I never got round to try it but i reckon swapping the front rubber mounts for solid ally ones would make the motor a stressed member and help stop headstock twisting

The 600 forks are 45mm,  I may have a set of 43mm j/k forks spare soon.

I had the same thought with the rubber mounts, I intend to try that next year.

Oh @Rene EFEI run the clip ons about 30mm below the to yoke on my slabbies'.  What do I win?  :D

23 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

The 600 forks are 45mm,  I may have a set of 43mm j/k forks spare soon.

I had the same thought with the rubber mounts, I intend to try that next year.

Oh @Rene EFEI run the clip ons about 30mm below the to yoke on my slabbies'.  What do I win?  :D

You win Curvature of the spine. :-) lol

What sort of pennies would you be after for forks and yokes?

• 3 months later...

Managed to slip a thunderace 48mm Rwu front end in with some bearing and stem mods. 

Had the full rebuilt front end sat around so made use of it plus had a Marvic Penta front suited along with pvm discs.. just calipers to sort and that's the front done..

onto the back next :ph34r: