GS 1000 starter motor

I know you can get an upgraded starter motor for the 1100 ET so assume it would fit the gs to, not tried it yet but am considering one for mine as the original one is on its last legs.

They are on Eblag for around £225 think this must be a cheaper and a better option than OEM if they are still available 

• Like 1

I've have a lot of big bore GS1000 (1085,1100 and 1148cc) all hi comp and not had problems with the starters, starter clutch yes but not the starter.

If you get a standard starter, make shore the brushes are good and check the small bearings are in good condition and you should be OK.

• Like 1

On my  Katana the starter was fine until I rebuilt the motor with an 1166 kit and then it struggled . it eventually packed in (the magnets separated from the casing) so I picked up a used one from E Bay, it was very little better until I replaced the battery with an AGM one and then the cranking speed was much quicker and no problems 

• Like 1

Best advice I can give if they are struggling to start is retard the ignition. Most high compression engines require this, most electronic controlled engines utilize this to ease in starting. Firing the plugs at or very near TDC will allow the engine to spin faster on start easing the load on the starter. Not only will it make life easy on the starter it will make life on the starter clutch soooo much better. A destroyed starter clutch is a lot more painful than a destroyed starter!

Here is some reading for you http://www.theflyingbanana.com/starterclutch.htm

Cheers

Tr1umph had a spate of problems with brand new starter clutches grenading. It was caused by the engine spinning over too slow when starting and therefore causing the ignition to be advanced, and the engine to kick back. The problem was with the igniter not the starter clutch itself. Replaced under warranty with modified part (sometimes). Don't know how you would reliably check aftermarket ignitions to see if they retard ignition effectively at cranking speed though.

• Like 1