Katana wiring connectors

skelly

Hi all.

I'm about to make a new wiring loom for the katana.

However I have a small issue.

I cant find anywhere that can supply some of the connectors.

The ones I need are...

Clock pod connector with twelve 2mm ? male round pins.

IGN switch connector with four 6.3mm female spades.

Fuse box connector with eight 6.3mm female spades.

Rear light connector with four 3mm female spades.

@Admin please feel free to move this to the wanted section if you think it constitutes a wanted ad rather than a technical help type thing..

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

Skel.

Edited by skelly
extra info

If you get the 8 way connector on Eblag item number 151430793986 the male part is a direct replacement for the connector that fits into the stock fuse box on a kat, efe, gsxr etc. For further info, the male parts for the four and six way connectors for the same item number are direct replacements for the connectors that fit into the CDI unit on an efe. It took years of trial and error and buying various connectors to find this out, and was driving me nuts until last year when I found these. I have a small stash of them now in case the seller goes awol. Hope this helps:)

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I now have the 4 pin ign connector, 8 pin fusebox connector.

Awesome.

I'm just stuck on the clocks right now as they have a 2mm male round pin which no one seems to list.

If I can find some of these, I can pull the old ones out of the loom plug and pop new ones in.

What I think I need is the male bit for these...http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/994/round-pin-female-2mm

Cheers.

Skel.

Have you looked to see if new looms are still available from Suzuki. I bought one a couple of years ago & it was quite reasonable. The loom was redesigned with modern wire too. A lot easier than making it & probably cheaper.

Just checked. NLA. Guess I got lucky

Edited by coombehouse
talking rubbish
2 hours ago, coombehouse said:

Have you looked to see if new looms are still available from Suzuki. I bought one a couple of years ago & it was quite reasonable. The loom was redesigned with modern wire too. A lot easier than making it & probably cheaper.

Just checked. NLA. Guess I got lucky

I think Skelly is making a custom loom for his highly modified bike so a NOS loom may not be suitable. The materials to build your own loom are not expensive. The problems can be getting suitable connectors to go on OEM parts such as the high-quality fuse box used on Suzukis and the stock CDI unit, as Skelly has discovered. It takes much time to build a loom though and also it can induce a headache when simplifying a stock loom and/or using components from another model, like switches and clocks. When it all works in the end it is immensely satisfying though for not much monetary cost.:)

I also have used VWP for bits and Towzatronics on Eblag are good too, especially for Japanese block connectors of different colours.

13 hours ago, skelly said:

Exactly what @Dezza said.

A new loom wouldn't help me much as I'm building my own.

The connector I need is the same as a GS1000 R/H switchgear if that helps.

Could you post a picture of it? I for one do not know what was used on a GS1000 so if you post a pic me and probably others may know of where such a connector is available:)

Not seen one like that before. I take it they are Kat clocks? Is there freeplay behind the connector block on all 11 wires, like on the connector block on the efe clocks (the terminals in the efe clocks are different so the block holding the male connectors will not fit that one)? Your block holds up to 12 male bullet connectors. If there is freeplay behind the connector block, you may have to open the clocks, cut the block off, and fit two new mini-block connectors each with a capacity of 6 terminals.

Does the GS 1000 switch unit have similar connections? If so, I think VWP do similar but if you are building a new loom, there is nothing to stop you fitting new japanese mini-block connectors on the cable from the switch and on the loom. These have been in use on Jap bikes now for decades.

If you can't find the correct plug I think i'd find the correct size male pins, crimp and solder to correct colour wires, push through a trimmed piece of thin plastic laid over the females into the right places, test they work electrically and cover the whole lot with hot melt glue to set in place. Once cooled / set the new 'plug connector can be removed, more glue added and all tidied up - hey presto - new connector!