Manual cam chain tensioner

Hey all. Just freshened motor. 1170 wiseco kit, valve job and racecut trans. Motor is in, runs good. It had a APE manual chain tensioner on it when I got it. I replaced the front and rear guides while I was in there. Question is, how tight should the chain be? The directions are impossible to do, it says to feel the chain on the guide through the tensioner. That doesn't happen. Should the length of chain between the cam sprockets have any play? I set it up with maybe 5 mm play in chain. Motor makes a whirring sound, not too loud, but noticeable.  The noise follows the RPM's. 

Any advice would be great. Thanks. 

FB_IMG_1475438644582.jpg

5mm total up to down is about right. Personally i've ever only tensioned a manual tensioner using finger torque - screw in the centre till you feel the tensioner resistance and then about another 1/4 turn fingers only and lock off. Wind the motor over forwards and check again as there should be a little slack. Difficult to explain but works for me.

• Like 2

Did mine recently, as above, screw it in by hand until you can feel it pushing the against the cam chain, then slowly turn the engine over by hand, you should feel the cam chain go slack, screw in the adjuster further until you feel it push against the cam chain again. back the tensioner off 1/4 turn and lock it up.

• Like 1