• 3 weeks later...

Back home knackered after 3 years away from track and 2 years without riding a bike O.o

1st session was a challenge but after that got dialled in knee down in my favourite corner :) every lap, the only limiting factor was the old road based tyres that gave me way to many slides and spat me out the seat,the old 18” wheel gives no options for better rubber :S

AAC8B405-BD72-4B99-86A5-BB5D522CD192.jpeg

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Simbec1863 said:

Back home knackered after 3 years away from track and 2 years without riding a bike O.o

1st session was a challenge but after that got dialled in knee down in my favourite corner :) every lap, the only limiting factor was the old road based tyres that gave me way to many slides and spat me out the seat,the old 18” wheel gives no options for better rubber :S

AAC8B405-BD72-4B99-86A5-BB5D522CD192.jpeg

What tires do the classic race boys use on 18” wheels?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, R1guy said:

Think they use conti classic cr or Avon but they are unobtainable at the moment nearest size is a battlax or roadrunner all a bit to big for the smoker I’ve got them on my slabbie and I’m not sure they do them in 17” as the smoker has a 17 front 18 rear the tyres I use are for a vfr400 

Edited by Simbec1863
19 minutes ago, R1guy said:

Avon AM22/23 (cost a fortune and production is soon to stop) or Continental race tyres. I recently found this out as I sold a race tyre I obtained when buying a race wheel.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Avon AM22/23 (cost a fortune and production is soon to stop) or Continental race tyres. I recently found this out as I sold a race tyre I obtained when buying a race wheel.

@Dezzamy classic racer mate told me the same about Avon :(

• Like 1

Dunno why they are ceasing production although the race tyres are made by Cooper tyres apparently, not by Avon themselves. Limited market and all that maybe. It's the one and only time I have been able to sell a tyre for a good price though, an Avon AM22. Usually it's difficult to give tyres away. Continental race tyres are still supposed to be good though, so at least there's an alternative.

36 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Dunno why they are ceasing production 

Sales. Everything has been 17's for soo long that 18's are not worth working on. The only 18's available in the states for a slabby are dual sport tires, i had to have some bt016's shipped in from italy.