GS1000G vs GS850

Havoc

Afternoon all. I have a question. Been looking for a 1000G motor for sometime with no success. Think they've all been triked. How different is the 850 bottom end to the 1000? 850 motors appear to be a lot easier to source.

20160626_140737_zpsvdwjpeye.jpg

Edited by Havoc
  • Like 1

There still is, it's minus transfer box bevel gears and apparently the clutches are different. Every other bit is compatible though. Might still take a trip over to Wisbech and pick it up, just wait  for the other bits to turn up. Spoke to Nick about it at the weekend. He's the source of the £800 1100G donk as well :)

On 05/07/2016 at 8:06 PM, Havoc said:

There still is, it's minus transfer box bevel gears and apparently the clutches are different. Every other bit is compatible though. Might still take a trip over to Wisbech and pick it up, just wait  for the other bits to turn up. Spoke to Nick about it at the weekend. He's the source of the £800 1100G donk as well :)

Yes clutch is different to the chain drive, the crank is also different.

The gs1000 chain drive top end (complete) will fit straight on the 1000g bottom end, the gs750/850/1000 cams all interchange, you can used ever the GS CV head or slide carb head.

The geny cover on the g is different to the chain I think but you can used the gs1000g or chain drive geny and starter clutch or the gs850 one.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:46 AM, johnr said:

theres a gsx1100g on Eblag now for 500 quid, you could probably buy it and keep the motor loom and carbs and sell the rest back on to recoup some money, ebalg listing number , 

Seems to have gone O.o

I had a gs850gt trike which i put a gs1000g motor in. The 4 bolt drive flange was bigger on the 1000 but the splines were the same so just swapped to suit. The starter , alternator and cover all swapped over from the 850 as well. Then i used the 850 CV carbs on the 1000 by cutting the rack in the middle and welding in a little bit. Then stage 3 dynojet kit and k&n's had it running strong again. Couldn't believe the difference in power and torque between the 1000 and the 850. Massive gain. Dont know about going the other way.

I like the idea of an oil cooled gsx1100g motor in an aircooled frame. Reckon that would look wicked and go hard.

5 hours ago, slingy1157 said:

I like the idea of an oil cooled gsx1100g motor in an aircooled frame. Reckon that would look wicked and go hard.

:)

GSX1100G1_zpsdbccq0ar.jpg

Guess that's me off to Oilcooled now. Probably going to use the front end and back wheel as well. With the carbs and electrics all on this it will cut out a load of hassle. The model is rare enough here for the wheels not to be recognised and look a bit exotic  :pimp:

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

and Tom you swapped the front brake discs around yet? Better do it or Suzanne will find out about this bike. And other things.

As soon as I get in this evening, forgot. She's at work until midnight so job's a good 'un  :pimp: 

• Like 1
On 16/07/2016 at 10:45 PM, johnr said:

on the old site wraith did a gs1000g build using a single side rear wheel and swingarm from a revere fitted to the gs frame, looked cool as fuck!

And I still have the bike, but I have put the standard bodywork back on.

:D