HELP! Hayabusa swingarm on a 91 GSXR 750 trouble!

Right, so i'm digging this up cause its got most of the relevant info in here

My mix : '91 1100 frame, Busa mk1 swingarm, the famous CNC mount, adjustable dogbones, k1 knuckle, non OE shock but same length as stock.

As it stands, and the bike is indeed still on axle stands, It looks like the spring will be rubbing on the swingarm brace, as if the top shock mount needed pushing back a bit.

I was under the impression that using these parts was plug and play ?

What am i missing, if anything ?

45 minutes ago, WimBaas said:

I have done several conversion. Using all the Busa stuff, knuckle, dogbones etc. With the standard shocklenght it should be plu and play. 

20230626_165459.jpg

That sounds nice. So maybe the info i found on here requiring a K1 knuckle is rubbish ? And so fitting a Busa knuckle is what will correct the issue ?

Edited by Joseph
1 hour ago, davecara said:

If its the same fitment issue as a Srad, the top mount needs spacing out 10 or 20mm I cant remember

I thought that the top shock mount pushing out mod is needed when you use K type swingarms ? It definitely was what i had to do on my other build with a K arm.

24 minutes ago, Upshotknothole said:

Is your shock spring wider than stock?

That is a good question, i need to dig out an old standard shock to compare, but from what i can see it doesn't seem to be shockingly bigger than OE.

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

According to what @clivegtoposted in his busa topic, it looks like the knuckle i have has the same specs as the busa one.

Not sure what to look at next in view of what people say they have done to get their set up to work

Better picture when not on the beer (y) It's 135mm.IMG_20240720_144557.thumb.jpg.0c52f4b5ca612cbb4437d69f96f86496.jpg

Right well unfortunately that double confirms that the K1 knuckle is the "same" as the busa (although different part numbers)

Really not sure what i can do with this, obviously welding a new top shock mount like @davecarasaid could help, but no one mentioned that needing doing in the search results, and the frame is powdercoated, the bike is all back together almost ready to ride

I think all the K swingarm swaps Ive seen have been done on 750 frames where the shock mount unbolts and its very easy to stick a spacer behind and bolt it back on, I think your frame is gonna need surgery unfortunatley

So that contradicts what @WimBaassays then ? Judging by the sticker that bike he posted is an 1100 ? Unless it's a 7/11 ?

I'm definitely not going to rip the bike apart and cut into it. 

Although i should have done a mock up build on the swingarm, it would be good that the advice posted on here be accurate, by people who've actually done the job.

Edited by Joseph
1 hour ago, davecara said:

I think all the K swingarm swaps Ive seen have been done on 750 frames where the shock mount unbolts and its very easy to stick a spacer behind and bolt it back on, I think your frame is gonna need surgery unfortunatley

You mention K swingarm. This isn't a K swingarm ?

18 hours ago, Joseph said:

According to what @clivegtoposted in his busa topic, it looks like the knuckle i have has the same specs as the busa one.

Not sure what to look at next in view of what people say they have done to get their set up to work

That same measurement on my K1, 1000 k1 knuckle and JMC hayabusa swinging is 190mm. IMG_20240721_074812.thumb.jpg.a1e8f87c2e7bc70d1201e88cebc99fa0.jpg

• Like 1

The bike I posted is a 1100 m.  Not a 750.  I sold the frame, knuckle and swingarm to Jeroen. Maybe I used a different length dogbones. I am not sure.  I had several sizes. @SpikeSpike can you measure the dogbones if you still have the setups?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2024 at 10:05 PM, WimBaas said:

The bike I posted is a 1100 m.  Not a 750.  I sold the frame, knuckle and swingarm to Jeroen. Maybe I used a different length dogbones. I am not sure.  I had several sizes. @SpikeSpike can you measure the dogbones if you still have the setups?

Sorry, was on holiday.
Dismantled the set-up unfortunately.