Bandit clutch problem

Hi guys. have a bandit 12 problem. My clutch is starting to grab early. Just barely even disengages. So I took the (sprocket) cover off. The piston looks like it's wanting to stay out. The pushrod doesn't seem to be pushing back out of the bike like it should. The piston has even pushed that little tin guard out. There's slight chain marks on it.

When I let the clutch out it locks at halfway as if something is simply bad with the hydraulics but that doesn't seem to be the case with the piston hyper extending like it is. The rod seems to be going too far and not returning. This happened somewhat suddenly in a ride. No signs of it prior. Sorry Ive never had to maintain the clutch on anything before aside from hydraulics. Anybody have an idea of what it likely needs inside there? So I can have the thing before I get started.
Edited by boilerdude

So nothing is wrong with my rod. It is smooth and flawless. Other bikes would be envious of a rod that nice.

Starting to think it's something with the master.

Does the master ever tend to fail in a way that leaves pressure in the line/ does not allow return?

Edited by boilerdude

your fibers would ware and clutch slip, if the piston is too far out and its only juts disengaging, then Id geuss somthing wrong with the push piece, bearing or washer the other end. 

22,23,24. but ive never had one fail like that???

or the small push rod number 20....

get the cover off an d have a look see. 

:tu

10_zpszk6pv3xr.gif

Edited by fatblokeonbandit
  • 2 months later...

Pretty sure it was the master. Failed in such a way that it wasnt allowing anything to return. I'm not entirely sure though. I ended up taking the master, sprocket cover, clutch basket, and clutch discs out of a parts bike and throwing all that stuff in. And now it works. But I think it was the master...

It could be the return in the master cylinder on the handlebars, if you take the cover off and operate the clutch you should be able to see it return. there is usually a little baffle there to stop it squirting right up just pull that out of the way and operate the clutch, if it does not return all the fluid every time you pull it in it will just jack the piston on the slave out further hence the bent tin plate.