Piano wired block

23 minutes ago, Jdeac said:

Can you run a piano wired block without the wire. And use a cometic gasket instead of copper??

Don't see any reason why not ....

But possibly tempted to use some chemical metal in the grove to support the gasket  

Wasn't sure if it would need tobe machined out. And the barrels move up. With the appropriate thickness base spacers

1 minute ago, Duckndive said:

Don't see any reason why not ....

But possibly tempted to use some chemical metal in the grove to support the gasket  

Posted (edited)

A piano wired block has a groove machined in the top deck around each cylinder to take a wire metal ring ( the so called piano wire ) which stands proud of the deck and when the cylinder heads is fitted bites into the gasket it is usually used in extremely high compression , nitrous or high boost applications 

SMX-Hoops-1.webp

Edited by DAZ
Addition
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Jdeac said:

Can you run a piano wired block without the wire. And use a cometic gasket instead of copper??

WhatsAppImage2024-02-26at14_34.09_209d6dfb-Copy.thumb.jpg.02c0c3f971b510d27f99380c14df4c00.jpg

Just remembered i took the base spacer out of this and used a MLS instead of copper when i put the head back on :tu

18 minutes ago, Jdeac said:

They look beefy. Don't suppose you know a rough cost for case boring do you. 

Last set i had done were Air Cooled ones  i took out all the studs and it cost £100 for the boring and that was quite a few years ago ...

19 minutes ago, Jdeac said:

Would uprated rods be recommended for a 1277 job

Depends on what the end goal's are but Rods are a good upgrade 

My motor was originally built for a Turbo...

then it seen use on Nitrous .... 100 Shot down it throat ...8.7 quarter's 

I am running it N/A so took the spacer out to get the CR back up  

50 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

Depends on what the end goal's are but Rods are a good upgrade 

My motor was originally built for a Turbo...

then it seen use on Nitrous .... 100 Shot down it throat ...8.7 quarter's 

I am running it N/A so took the spacer out to get the CR back up  

Road going b12. I have some carrillo rods and heavy duty studs and nut. Also a ported head done by mistral. Guess I'll want to upgrade carbs aswell

Aftermarket rods really only needed for daft CR or excessive rpm's. Turbo's give rods an easier time. More rods have died due to oil failure than any other cause! Stock gsxr rods will survive up to about 250hp when gassed, nearer 280-300hp when turbo'd

24 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Aftermarket rods really only needed for daft CR or excessive rpm's. Turbo's give rods an easier time. More rods have died due to oil failure than any other cause! Stock gsxr rods will survive up to about 250hp when gassed, nearer 280-300hp when turbo'd

So I can sell the rods then lol

10 hours ago, Jdeac said:

So I can sell the rods then lol

Up to you! - make some money to use elsewhere or use them knowing they are absolutely wasted in a 140 - 150hp? road bike? They are also heavier than stock rods and without re-balancing will produce more vibes - another bonus LOL!

• Like 1