1981 GSX1100EX Paintwork question

Hi Old Skool Gurus,

I am new to GSXs and have acquired a US (small tank) 1981 GSX1100 EX that I am restoring - I have sourced a large 24 litre tank and would like to get the tank and panels repainted in the 1981 'Black & Blue' livery as photo below. Please can anyone advise if the predominant black base paint is a 'plain' gloss black or is it a 'pearlescent' black? and what is this colour scheme referred to as?

Also I note some tanks have the fuel tap mounting holes in the middle of the underside of the tank base and some appear to have the tap hole nearer to the bike seat - please can anyone advise on why there is this difference as the fuel tap mounting hole nearest to the seat appears to introduce a fitment clash between the tap and teh top of the CV carbs?

Looking forward to getting my resto underway so I can get it back on the road and enjoy that TSCC performance!

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cheers

Screenshot_20240502_195303_Gallery[1].jpg

• Like 1

if the tap holes are at the rear of the tank then it'll take the wider 50mm vacuum tap that has no turn knob so is pretty flat, the one in the middle uses a 44mm tap with a turn knob and sits between the head and carbs. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...