Idle adjustment cable GSX1100F

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to take the idle adjustment cable set up apart in order to fit a new bracket? It's for a gsx1100f. Is it even possible to get a new bracket or do you have to buy a whole cable set up? If so where from? I've looked on csml but they don't have any available and frankly 75 quid is a bit steep in my eyes.

So any advice, help appreciated. 

Posted (edited)

Put a pic up as to the bit you need to replace. The main bracket is held on by two float bowl screws. When these are undone and the adjuster screw at the carb end is also unscrewed the whole lot comes off and the carb end adjuster will pass through the grommet that holds the adjuster knob thingy on the other end of the cable. No need to dismantle the cable-adjuster in order to replace the main bracket.

Obviously this is all a lot easier if you first remove the carbs from the bike.

Edited by Dezza
20 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Put a pic up as to the bit you need to replace. The main bracket is held on by two float bowl screws. When these are undone and the adjuster screw at the carb end is also unscrewed the whole lot comes off and the carb end adjuster will pass through the grommet that holds the adjuster knob thingy on the other end of the cable. No need to dismantle the cable-adjuster in order to replace the main bracket.

Obviously this is all a lot easier if you first remove the carbs from the bike.

Hi, this is the part I am referring to. (circled in red)I have the cable, just no bracket. There is a cross head screw on the adjustment knob, but I couldn't undo it, do it need heat to loosen up any thread lock on it?

bracket.jpg

If my memory serves me correctly, you should be able to unscrew the adjuster from the carb end, fit it to a replacement bracket, then assemble the adjuster to the bracket and fit the lot without removing the adjuster knob from the cable. It's been a while since I have worked on these carbs though, so I may be wrong. Sounds like a good idea to heat the screw if you want to remove it. A JIS screwdriver will probably help too.

2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

on a set of carbs i have with a similar setup you just un-screw the whole thing from the carbs, then their is a small clip to pull off the shaft then the whole thing just pulls through the bracket. 

Yep, that's right. I remember now. There's a small e-clip. Once removed it just pulls through the hole in the bracket as a knob-cable-adjuster assembly.

• Like 2

I don't think those brackets or the cables are available anymore. Check Eblag for a used one or new old stock. Or you could try and convert it to the GSXR1100 style where it's a straight screw that sits between carbs 2 and 3 and adjusts from the bottom. Harder to get to, but I think you can still get them. Though not 100% that you can swap them, I don't have any F carbs to check.

Suzuki always sold the cable and bracket as one unit, don't think you can separate them. Some of the GSXR 750 cables just had a wire bracket that you could pop off, but that style I think was built into it.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

17179681386547449030222592801355.thumb.jpg.b5e8aac97bd474836ca92787d78bce7d.jpgThey are a shitty system. Mine doesn't even turn the idle screw it's just a short piece of rubber pipe. Out of curiosity does anyone know how many turns out is a good starting point for it idle?

Edited by KennyKak
3 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

I'll check tomorrow if one of the bolt adjusters will work with a cable adjuster carb. The bolts you can still get, unlike the cables, and they're readily available on Eblag.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DhkAAOSwoudW9Hcy/s-l960.webp

s-l960.webp

I would think as long as the thread is the same and the spring fits, and it doesnt hit on anything then it should work.

So I swapped an idle bolt over on to some GSXR750 carbs that had a cable. The bolt spring is too long, you'll need to use the cable spring, and the mount is angled on the cable setups, where it's flat on the bolt setups, but the threads match and the bolt goes in. Not the easiest thing to reach, but it should work.

IMG_3196.jpeg