Spondon turbo

Never a huge fan of the Spondon "Barge" frame.

But those Co-Axle swing arms are just crackers.

It's not a barge frame. The barge frames were the same aluminium extrusion but actually ran around the front of the forks in a big square shape hence the name. I am also not a fan of that design. This frame was built to replicate a deltabox type arrangement with a single beam either side and returning in to the headstock. It was a bast**d to do as the section does not want to bend

Tis a beastie and like the colour scheme

That was the original colour scheme and it really was bright, but in them days the dayglo paints faded pretty fast, so I ended up with a different paint scheme within a couple of years and she still has the later paintjob now. will post a pic

i have to say modernising it would be a shame as it looks so good, sometimes modern bodywork etc doesn`t suit the older bikes but at the end of the day it` your bike.

It just so happens it looks so bloody good as it is

What is the handling like?

handles well for an old bike. The idea of the build was to put a powerful motor in a frame that would handle well, so pretty short and set up for going round corners, not in straight lines. Nowhere near as good as a modern sportsbike, but good enough - apart from the wastegate hitting the floor on left handers! thats the next job!

I would hate to lose the old look, but now that I have had a petrol incident and blown some of the paint, she needs repainting, so dilema time. In an ideal world, I would love to keep this bodywork and colours and do a second set modern but that involves another tank and they aint cheap and hard to find someone to make one now

Really nice to see an EFE powered Spondon. Understandably in terms of availability many have been fitted with oil cooled engines.

Yes, especially the monster (tube) frames. would like to own one of those one day too - just need to keep buying those lottery tickets!

Went with the efe engine at the time as they were the engine of choice for turbos way back when...yes, I am that old!

• Like 3

Thendles well for an old bike. The idea of the build was to put a powerful motor in a frame that would handle well, so pretty short and set up for going round corners, not in straight lines. Nowhere near as good as a modern sportsbike, but good enough - apart from the wastegate hitting the floor on left handers! thats the next job!

Always wondered how they handled, as considered would that be way forward with my  slingshot as come to limit of it really now i think..

I rode friends haris copy, seemed to have all right bits and geometry,  it was awful hated it.

This is my own personal opinion, but I think once you get past the aircooled engine era, the handling rapidly improved on standard frames, so the special frames were more for building something a bit different rather than improving handling. Factory frames got a whole lot better around the GSXR era. Not sure what slingshot you have, but not sure it would be worth spending on a special frame. Sure you could spend way less improving what you have

It's 91 m heavily modified  got to say handling is awesome  got some real good lap times out of it. Only Limiting factor is ground clearance and geometry of rear swing arm angle, but hey they were never designed for that sort abuse, so finding very interesting views on special  frames.