GS1000 “Skunk” update

DeegzARG

Hi Folks

Hope everyone is doing well.  I’ve been slowly working on my gs1000 every so often and a couple of weeks ago I decided to install some headers, an exhaust and some k&n air filters. 

I went up on the pilot jet to a 17.5 and 130 main jet. Bike idles good and starts good. 3/4 throttle and up is also good. Issue I’m having is when I’m cruising from 1/4-3/4 throttle the bike seems to hesitate and bog quite a bit. Air screw is out 2 turns and fuel screw is out 2 1/4 turns. 

Needle clip is in its stock position. Would adjusting the needle clip be the solution?

What do you folks think it may be?

All the best!!

Carlos

IMG_8047.jpeg

• Like 2

With the symptoms I’m having would I be putting it in clip position 2 or 4? 

is it a fairly easy task to change the clip position? I haven’t seen any info on disassembly of the needle. 

thanks again for the help guys. This is the first bike I’ve ever “wrenched” on before

IMG_8181.png

13 hours ago, fab said:

nice bike, lift the needle 1 clip and try it.

7 hours ago, DeegzARG said:

With the symptoms I’m having would I be putting it in clip position 2 or 4? 

is it a fairly easy task to change the clip position? I haven’t seen any info on disassembly of the needle. 

thanks again for the help guys. This is the first bike I’ve ever “wrenched” on before

IMG_8181.png

So if your clip on the needle is currently in the middle groove (3),then go to groove 4 to richen the mixture,  chances are it's lean as the new air filters and pipe will be free-er breathing than the standard parts, if there's not enough change with the needle then you may need a size larger main jet and then you drop the needle back down and start again ....,but do things incrementally and keep a note of settings and how it responds, incase you need to go back to a setting that works better

• Like 3
On 11/26/2023 at 11:51 PM, DeegzARG said:

Hi Folks

Hope everyone is doing well.  I’ve been slowly working on my gs1000 every so often and a couple of weeks ago I decided to install some headers, an exhaust and some k&n air filters. 

I went up on the pilot jet to a 17.5 and 130 main jet. Bike idles good and starts good. 3/4 throttle and up is also good. Issue I’m having is when I’m cruising from 1/4-3/4 throttle the bike seems to hesitate and bog quite a bit. Air screw is out 2 turns and fuel screw is out 2 1/4 turns. 

Needle clip is in its stock position. Would adjusting the needle clip be the solution?

All the best!!

Carlos

IMG_8047.jpeg

You need an air corrector kit which comes with a tap and reduced air jet, goes into one of the small holes at the back of the carb mouth . Grumpy 1260 does them i believe . Alternatively try taping up a portion of the filters and by trial and error get it to pull cleanly 

Edited by gsx
Forgot
  • 1 month later...

Pod air filters and exhaust are a very common modification, if there is a proven stage one carb kit go with that.  If not the kit try raising the needle, 130 main on 26mm carbs seems a bit big to me but I can’t remember back that far when I was doing that particular bike.  You probably know you shouldn’t up the main to cover lean needle part or low slide opening carburetion.  How many sizes up did you go on the pilot?  Fuel screws can be turned out as much as three turns (can’t they)?  It has both an air screw and fuel screw, interesting, I’m not sure I remember seeing that.  Hope this helps 

Edited by cnap504
addition
On 11/27/2023 at 10:51 AM, DeegzARG said:

Hi Folks

All the best!!

Carlos

IMG_8047.jpeg

The only proper way is to connect an O2 sensor with gauge and make visable what you're doing.

Sometimes when you're getting close to a good tune, the symptomes of too rich or too lean can be pretty similar. It takes the gues work out, and you can do a better job fine tuning it.

• Like 1