Engine ID

Cooky

Hi Guys

Newbie here that needs some help. Picked up a GS1100G basket case recently.  Frame is 12/81 and number suggests it's a 82 model. Engine that came with the project has

# U701-112696 and after DOT checks, is not the engine that was in the bike on last rego in 07. 

Can someone please help with engine id, as engine does not want to fit between engine mounts. All seems to line up, even shaft drive, but with mount bushes installed in cases it is about 15mm to wide to fit between rear mounts, and the same on left lower. If I remove the bushes it drops in. Also engine mount brackets seem to be ok, but bolts are wrong length, which makes me think they may have been from the original engine.

Just want to get this worked out before I start resto.

Cheers

Cooky

29 minutes ago, wraith said:

All sounds weird, as the gs850/1000/1100 shaft drive engines will swop between frames  

But aren't the U701 engine a oil cooled engine not a air cooled?

Yeah, the 1100G has an 1127 based on the GSXR/1100F engine but it's a different animal altogether. There's the obvious difference for the shaft drive, but it also has a balance shaft as well as different cases and sump.

13 hours ago, Cooky said:

Hi Guys

Newbie here that needs some help. Picked up a GS1100G basket case recently.  Frame is 12/81 and number suggests it's a 82 model. Engine that came with the project has

# U701-112696 and after DOT checks, is not the engine that was in the bike on last rego in 07. 

Can someone please help with engine id, as engine does not want to fit between engine mounts. All seems to line up, even shaft drive, but with mount bushes installed in cases it is about 15mm to wide to fit between rear mounts, and the same on left lower. If I remove the bushes it drops in. Also engine mount brackets seem to be ok, but bolts are wrong length, which makes me think they may have been from the original engine.

Just want to get this worked out before I start resto.

Cheers

Cooky

As @Duckndivesaid, pictures will help as it sounds like you might have the wrong spacers, or the right spacers in the wrong place. There's only one oil cooled shaft drive engine, and there's only one frame to suit it. 

9 minutes ago, imago said:

Yeah, the 1100G has an 1127 based on the GSXR/1100F engine but it's a different animal altogether. There's the obvious difference for the shaft drive, but it also has a balance shaft as well as different cases and sump.

As @Duckndivesaid, pictures will help as it sounds like you might have the wrong spacers, or the right spacers in the wrong place. There's only one oil cooled shaft drive engine, and there's only one frame to suit it. 

The bit that makes me think, :D (I know don't happen often) is it's in air cooled not oil cooled section and he says it's a 81 or 82 model which the gsx1100g was not out then unless some was in the process of trying to put a gsx1100g into a gs1100g  2v ? 

Pictures will help of the bike and engine ;)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, wraith said:

The bit that makes me think, :D (I know don't happen often) is it's in air cooled not oil cooled section and he says it's a 81 or 82 model which the gsx1100g was not out then unless some was in the process of trying to put a gsx1100g into a gs1100g  2v ? 

Pictures will help of the bike and engine ;)

Never even occurred to me, but you're quite right. In which case my considered opinion on the matter is 'fucked if I know'.  xD:tu

• Like 1

Early 1052 were U703 according to the lists I've seen U704 were possibly 100hp destined for France and Germany as per EU regs of the time , GSX1100G was V718 all the other 11/1200 were designated V7?? Dependent on application 

1 hour ago, wraith said:

All sounds weird, as the gs850/1000/1100 shaft drive engines will swop between frames  

But aren't the U701 engine a oil cooled engine not a air cooled?

Did US or other markets have an 1100 aircooled shafty ? I know we had 650/850/1000's 

49 minutes ago, DAZ said:

Early 1052 were U703 according to the lists I've seen U704 were possibly 100hp destined for France and Germany as per EU regs of the time , GSX1100G was V718 all the other 11/1200 were designated V7?? Dependent on application 

Did US or other markets have an 1100 aircooled shafty ? I know we had 650/850/1000's 

For the UK market the gs1100g (2V) was a import as we only got the gs650/850/1000 but some markets had a gs750g as well as the gs1100g but this man is down under so who knows xD

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Thanks for your input so far. Photo 2433 is the bike, 2434 is engine rear installed without bushes, 2443 and 2439 engine location with bushes and a lot of persuasion, note mounts were splayed when I got bike. 2437 left front with bush installed mount splayed, 2436 right side gap between frame and mount looking from front of bike.

Should engine just slot in , or be really tight ? was thinking maybe bushes are swollen, but I don't even think that new bushes would give me the clearance needed as I removed them, cleaned bush and case and gained nothing.

Thanks for lookking

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

Hi Guys

Still no luck fitting engine, but an update. This bike looks like it's been mucked with. Compliance plate has one frame number, underneath on frame is a different one, but both 82 1100G. The engine I have does not match with either frames previous rego, but all engines start with U701. All numbers relate to Tasmanian state rego's. Thinking a previous owner was trying to clone a crashed bike. With what I can find about it's history I wouldn't be surprised to find that the frame has been altered in some way.  Going to pull all the mount bushes this weekend and see if the engine will come close.

Cheers

I've never needed to bend a frame mounting to fit an engine to anything - unless they are bespoke mounts to take a different engine, there is generally wiggle / spacer room between cases and frame mounts! With all of the 'dubious' history your frame seems to have, i'd suggest it didn't originally come with an engine that physically big!

Think I have worked it out, went to a Mate's shop who has a few GS and GK's  laying about . Long story short , GS has solid mount for rear lower, while GK has bushes, slightly different brackets and bolts.

My frame is a 1100gs, My engine has  bushes rear lower which makes it GK.

So I think that makes the GK engine wider and won't fit in a GS frame.

Thanks everyone for your input

• Like 2