1127 carb options

Basel

My carbs aren’t great, one is seized and all chokes seem to be seized too.

An engineer mate is going to have a look at them, if they can’t be rescued what are the options ?

IIRC my carbs are 36mm, so would B12 carbs be an option and then dyne jetted ?
Otherwise RS 38mm flatsides (new with new inlet rubbers, would these need jetting up by somebody on a rolling road ?

Can you order new carbs and state what bike they are going onto and they’ll come set up ready to go ?

Sorry for the stupid questions, when I last messed about with this bike it was a lot newer and parts easy to get in good secondhand condition.

You could have your current carbs rebuilt after being ultrasonically cleaned,but do some pricing up first , as ever the bill soon adds up when you are looking at 4 lots of everything and someone else's labour then price some flatslides. Some will say flatslides every time, for the noise ,the direct throttle response ,but personally I'm not that fast a rider and tbh cv carbs are nice at smoothing things out making it easy plus the flatties have a heavier throttle pull which I would find gets old pretty quickly if you clock some miles. No right or wrong answer just what do you think your use will be Sunday blast to the cafe or daily rider type scenarios

Generally any of the oil cooled carbs will fit with the right rubbers I think the earliest gsxr750 had 29mm flat slides then they were all cv carbs from 32-40mm depending on year and application 

Edited by DAZ
Addition
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, DAZ said:

You could have your current carbs rebuilt after being ultrasonically cleaned,but do some pricing up first , as ever the bill soon adds up when you are looking at 4 lots of everything and someone else's labour then price some flatslides. Some will say flatslides every time, for the noise ,the direct throttle response ,but personally I'm not that fast a rider and tbh cv carbs are nice at smoothing things out making it easy plus the flatties have a heavier throttle pull which I would find gets old pretty quickly if you clock some miles. No right or wrong answer just what do you think your use will be Sunday blast to the cafe or daily rider type scenarios

So just a quick one, flatslides will the be fit and ride or need setting up DAZ ?

9 hours ago, Basel said:

I wanted to separate the carbs, am I on the right path thinking that ?

Yes. Use the correct size JIS screwdrivers. One or 2 screws may refuse to budge so you may have to grind the heads off. With careful application of heat (using an old screwdriver or soldering iron) heat the seized screw, clamp it in a vice, then turn the carb body. You can buy 2litre ultrasonic cleaners for not much cash and they're just big enough to do an individual carb body.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Upshotknothole said:

They'll be close enough that you should be able to ride it to get it properly tuned, but they come with just a standard generic setup. They also tend to be a lot easier to work on than CVs, at least I think they are.

Mine on standard airbox still which must be rare, an engineer mate has my carbs now and is going to have a look at them, if they are too far gone I’ll by flatslides and put individual K&N’s on them.

Obviously I’ll need to get them set up, I’m so out of touch with it all I don’t know how’s about still, I’ll have to Google names, I did use to use PDQ in Taplow near Slough. 

3 hours ago, imago said:

Just as an indication on price, the 1100G carbs I cleaned and rebuilt a couple of weeks ago worked out at £100 per carb for parts. That's not including any diaphragms or floats, just 'O' rings, float jets etc. 

Thanks for the price (idea of costs) half way to a set of Flatslides plus the rubbers needed. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dezza said:

Yes. Use the correct size JIS screwdrivers. One or 2 screws may refuse to budge so you may have to grind the heads off. With careful application of heat (using an old screwdriver or soldering iron) heat the seized screw, clamp it in a vice, then turn the carb body. You can buy 2litre ultrasonic cleaners for not much cash and they're just big enough to do an individual carb body.

Passed to job over to a mate, I am to heavy handed and would probably smash them to pieces trying to undo bolts Dezza