Camshafts 1277

So I'm putting a gsxr motor together and would like to know what camshafts anybody can recommend.  

Spec is - 1100 M bottom end , knife edge crank and corrillo rods . Wiseco big block bored to 83mm JE pistons. 1127 L tappet head been ported by Mr upperton  , valves are stock size at the mo  .

I've got a pair of stock L cams .

The engine is going into my 7 / 11 that currently has a stock M engine with full yoshi duplex system and 40 mm Mikuni TMR flatsides . Bike runs great as is but could do with a bit more go . Used on  b roads .

Question is do I stick with the stock L cams or go with something a bit more lumpy to make the most of what I have ? 

The three things I take away from your question

7/11 you like big engines in chassis that handles better than the one the big engine came out of

1277 strong bottom end flowed head stock valve sizes =might not be all about top end

Used on b roads = top end hardly used,  all about firing from one corner to the next

I reckon the stock cams would be a torque monster in that scenario and would blast out of every corner just fine some may argue that a pair of stage one Yoshi of Kent cams would work great and I'm sure they would,but you may well lose torque you would use for bhp you wouldn't....that's my two penneth 

Edit : I would rather have an extra 10ft/lb at 6k than 10bhp at 11k but that's my own preference

Edited by DAZ
Addition
  • Like 1

Why not just fit larger valves ? No real downsides...apart from the cost, but you've already invested a lot of money.....

Larger valves increase torque over pretty much the whole rev range and would help a large big bore engine breath. You would need to blend in the port throats to the larger seats. Cams just shift the torque, it depends what you want from the engine. Standard cams , big valves,  ported to suit, with tmr40s would make for a damn strong motor. 

My 1100n has a 1216 kit, std cams on 104 degree centres, 30 mm inlet valves (Abuso), tmr40s, full akrapovic, my version of  high velocity porting (mk3)and some valve deshrouding  - it's damn quick, brilliant on B roads - I like a fast bike and to be honest I don't need or want any more top-end,  it's shockingly fast for a 31 year old bike. With an extra 60cc there would be more torque, starting earlier,  around 100 lb/ft+ of mid-range torque and would pull to 10,000 revs - it probably wouldn't rev out as well as a smaller engine, which cams might let it...but you would lose torque lower down..no such thing as a free lunch !

• Like 3