1983 GS750ESD

Suzukian

I hear you.  I have that front end already and it's in excellent condition.  Thanks for the offer though, that's extremely generous, and you and I both know that isn't too common these days, not in the U.S. anyways! Those triple trees alone are worth something, they fit so many bikes.  :)

The GS750ES triple trees with spindle came in.  It even had the tapered steering head bearings, nut, washer, tightening nut on it.  It was complete.  The steering stem is welded on, but it's s very light bead.  I'll be able to mount it on my lathe and remove the weld right up to where it's no longer welded.  I have to wait till the GS1150 front end comes in to determine which route I'm going to take.  I do have a spare ZZR1200 front end, and that will get the stem if the GS1150 front end doesn't cut it.  I'm not in a hurry. II may machine a pair of cartridge emulators for the GS11150 front end to help it along.  Back in the day the set up was to put the GS1150 swing arm and front end to get a wider front tire.  Since I am going for a 600SRAD tire set up, I have to wait till the parts come in and then decide. :)

8 hours ago, Suzukian said:

The GS750ES triple trees with spindle came in.  It even had the tapered steering head bearings, nut, washer, tightening nut on it.  It was complete.  The steering stem is welded on, but it's s very light bead.  I'll be able to mount it on my lathe and remove the weld right up to where it's no longer welded.  I have to wait till the GS1150 front end comes in to determine which route I'm going to take.  I do have a spare ZZR1200 front end, and that will get the stem if the GS1150 front end doesn't cut it.  I'm not in a hurry. II may machine a pair of cartridge emulators for the GS11150 front end to help it along.  Back in the day the set up was to put the GS1150 swing arm and front end to get a wider front tire.  Since I am going for a 600SRAD tire set up, I have to wait till the parts come in and then decide. :)

I guess with your choice of 600 srad wheel, you have considered that fitting a speedo drive may be impossible?

Yes!  Rereading this thread, it seems(?) the Bandit wheels you suggested would be a better choice.  I haven't purchased the rims/wheels yet.  The Bandit  wheels seems a better choice(?).  I haven't purchased any rims yet.  I'd appreciate input (and do appreciate the input you are giving me).  I'm hoping that speedo compatibility can be achieved this way.  I can machine any adapters that may be necessary.  What do you think?  There's a pair of a'2004-2005 suzuki gsxr 600 750 Front Rear Rims Wheels Rotors OEM SET" on Ebag for $149 which seems like a good deal, it includes the disc  rotors. :)

Edited by Suzukian

It seems for the GSXR wheels, the wheels have to be from very early ones, to have the drive.  I've located these: "1993-1996 Suzuki Gsxr750w Front & Rear Wheel Rim Set W/ Brake Rotors *straight* " and in the pic, you can see the cut outs for a mechanical speedo drive.  Same price for both sets, including rotors. :|

1993-1996 Suzuki Gsxr750w Front & Rear.jpg

Edited by Suzukian
add media

Gsxr wheels from 1988 to 1995 would fit. The fronts were pretty much all the same but the rears did vary in width which may be an issue with your standard swingarm (later wheels got wider). Similar with bandit wheels, the MK1 600 bandit used a 110 front, 150 rear whereas the 1200 used 120 front, 180 rear. The safe option would be a 600 bandit rear & either option on the front though the slightly narrower 600 tyre would make it turn more like your existing setup (probably)

as I said earlier i would go with 600 bandit wheels as their not as wide as GSXR/1200 bandit and ive done it so i know they will be easier to fit. the bandit speedo drive will need skimming down a bit but saying that their are thinner drives on other makes of bike that could be used, but you would have to sort out one with the right ratio !!!!   

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, coombehouse said:

Gsxr wheels from 1988 to 1995 would fit. The fronts were pretty much all the same but the rears did vary in width which may be an issue with your standard swingarm (later wheels got wider). Similar with bandit wheels, the MK1 600 bandit used a 110 front, 150 rear whereas the 1200 used 120 front, 180 rear. The safe option would be a 600 bandit rear & either option on the front though the slightly narrower 600 tyre would make it turn more like your existing setup (probably)

Good advice here.GSXR 1100 front till 98.B12 front think some of the mk2 still had drive cut in wheel.Rear b6,gsx750f,SV650,lot to chouse from 4 1/2".Get correct years so spoke pattern matches. B6 straight spoke fronts are 3 1/2" I believe along with others in straight spoke.

Spindle size on smaller bikes can vary so bearing swap is needed and inner spacer be aware. Changing to 1150 swinger i think mention, not worth any time or effort, going that route change dirt bike rear suspension on your bike to something more modern. May also not really improve much, just doing because. I am very guilty of that. Front spindle is 15mm on gs1150 so that needs to be delt with not familiar with rear spindle size for bike you have.

• Like 1

Just as side bar for you. needed a rear shock rebuild for my efe, werks shock 35 yrs old give or take remote reservoir,you know the drill. Stupid money,so got a Hagon from UK thing is i am going to say it brilliant. Hagon had such a bad name here when i was younger, for the money you can not beat it. Hope test of time will show this. So if you need a rear shock (you will) they are not easy to come by for that model of yours. Running late cya.

• Like 1

Found this on Ebag yesterday, has speedometer drive pick up.   $85 bucks, seems fairly priced, comes with discs, free shipping.  The GS1150 front end just came in, so as soon as it is above 28 degrees F, I can check this all out..  I think this rim (needs to be painted, close match to pattern on rear wheel)  is the closest I could find, it has a mechanical speedo drive, so I can make that work, and bike will look virtually the same, just a beefier front end..  Opinions?  I'm sure I'll have to make brackets for brakes, unless the Spare Tokico system I have happens to line up.  Then it's a matter of deciding which brakes to use. 

Update: Ordered wheel, it's the only one I've seen there for weeks. ;) 

86 Suzuki Gsxr 600 750 Front Wheel.jpg

Edited by Suzukian

The GS11150 Front End came in.  It looks new.  I was surprised by how new it looked.  It'll take another two weeks or so before the rotors, and axle w/ speedo drive, and bolts come in.  I have a Tokico set of calipers, and Master Cylinder that I'm planning to put on, it seems they will fit.  I won't know till I have all the parts in. So it will be a while till next update. :)

Turns out the wheel was a 16" rim and to top it off, it was a Kawasaki Rim!!  That's Egag for you.  They're giving me a full refund and paid for the return shipping.  So that's not too bad.  Back to the rim search.  From what I have figured out, these are the year front rims I'm looking for:

88-95 GSXR 750
92-93 GSXR 600
89-98 GSXR 1100

These also have the mechanical speedo drive. Again, any suggestions much appreciated. :)

This set of wheels showed up on Ebag today.  New listing, wasn't there yesterday.  These are the rims used in the "Instructional Video" posted.  I got the set for $124.69.  Straight rims guaranteed, has speedo drive.  Also has hideous paint job, so I'll have to strip and paint that.  Probably glass bead blast the sections that can be blasted, tape off the others, prime and paint black.  Best deal I've seen.  I am getting a refund on the other wheel sent in error.  Free shipping on the front and back rim. :)

1150810823_199488-97SuzukiKatana750GSX750FFrontRearRimset.thumb.jpg.63958b242c508dfab2243600de976bde.jpg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Suzukian said:

A question, is it worth running a bigger oil cooler on an '83 GS750ES?  Just wondering.  The Summer's are nearly in the mid 90's F all Summer long. :)

I would say probably not. It's lasted this long so it must be ok. Better just to change the oil more often if you have concerns.

• Like 1