1994 GSX600F ignition lead replacement

Omegasteve

Coils used to have screw in terminals for wires but the OEM's (well certain ones) changed to glued / potted in ones - they would say for 'reliability / weather resistance' but the cynical among us would say, why sell a new lead for £10 why you have to fit a whole coil for £100!

*ondas still have screw in terminals so you could obtain some S/H? they are dead reliable and will work with a Suzuki or just cut the defective lead off whilst leaving a 2" tail and use a HT lead joiner and attach the new lead! 

This looks an ok part - https://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/125476590873?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjw5P2aBhAlEiwAAdY7dOrX9oOo3Y6mLeSrq_P9an5OREpKdnRfXsJJe3a1ZFyFjXWsu0MSNBoCk3kQAvD_BwE

The clips will come out but you have to destroy them to do so. The leads will then unscrew to enable replacement but will have to be held in with epoxy glue. Alternatively, source some secondhand 3ohm coils as used on a multitude of Kawasakis in the 80s/90s, e.g. ZXR, ZZR. These can be had cheap and have threaded HT lead retainers. They even accept Taylor leads and the like and don't crack like Dyna coils :).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lachie04 said:

Have heard you use a hot air gun on the plastic clips to ease them out of the way without breaking them 

I'll be giving that a try on my other one. I managed to get the leads out of coil two without too much hassle so that's a result.  Turns out they weren't glued in on mine.