Lock up clutches

It would be much appreciated if someone could school me on lock up clutches. I've looked on the interwebs and found a lot of info but pretty conflicting at the same time. 

Are they suitable for street riding? Which is what I'll mainly be doing.

How different is it's use from riding factory clutch, any specific DOs or DONTs?

Can you pull in the lever to shift when you're on the throttle?

Is a lockup necessary or are there other options?

I don't mean to be so green on this, but the most I've ever used/needed was HD springs. Bike is a Bandit 1216 turbo hoping to hit around the 200hp mark.  I appreciate any clarity I can get on this.

TBH - they are really only needed if the engine can make enough torque to slip the clutch whilst in gear or you use an 'instant hit' of power like Nitrous that can shock the clutch into slipping. Adding weight to the arms is the usual 'tuning method' although that is a bit agricultural! When racing (for that is what they were designed for) tuning involves clutch stack heights, air gaps, spring pressures, preloads and arm weights, so a simple one fix solution doesn't fit every situation. First off a GOOD working std. clutch will hold a good amount of power, it torque that makes a clutch slip - then if required add a lock-up but be mindful of what use it'll get as, like most things, one set-up will have pro's and con's for others. And if drag racing, be prepared to burn up fibres and steels whilst dialling it in !