Suddenly bike won't start only a ticking starter relay?

Jpich85

Thanks @Dezzaand @Devilmanand everyone else, I appreciate your advice, you've given me some good points and I'll give them a decent look over on the weekend and Wednesday hopefully.

Unfortunately no i didn't use the special tool, I know I should of but thought I could get away without it but maybe I was wrong thinking that lol. 

Don't think it's related but when all this happened the temperature on my acewell speedo started reading max, the engine was stone cold but the speedo keeps reading maximum even now. 

It's probably a separate issue I'll need to sort but thought it was weird how they both happened together.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jpich85 said:

Thanks @Dezzaand @Devilmanand everyone else, I appreciate your advice, you've given me some good points and I'll give them a decent look over on the weekend and Wednesday hopefully.

Unfortunately no i didn't use the special tool, I know I should of but thought I could get away without it but maybe I was wrong thinking that lol. 

Don't think it's related but when all this happened the temperature on my acewell speedo started reading max, the engine was stone cold but the speedo keeps reading maximum even now. 

It's probably a separate issue I'll need to sort but thought it was weird how they both happened together.

OK from what you're describing there, you may also have an earth issue, either in the loom itself, or bad earth between the engine and frame (this is less likely given it spun over when "jumped" to the motor, but still possible.   Often times when something cannot get a clean earth, they start "feeding back" through other circuits seeking a path to earth, which can cause interesting behaviour (Remember how old cars would suddenly have the brake lights start flashing if the indicator was on? Same kind problem).

Good luck figuring out the problem :)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Jpich85 said:

Normally a gauge reading max indicates its sender wire is grounded - its usually a test to see if gauge is working, ie. ground the sender wire and gauge goes max scale! Obviously gauge has to be powered.

Luckily I managed to solve the issue now, it was something as simple as a bad earth to the engine block lol, I should of know but after some help from you guys and a little thinking I thought that was probably the issue as after I'd painted everything and powder coated everything something must not of been as it should, I've ran a new temporary earth to engine block and it worked as normal again, just need to think where to permanently put one and still look clean. 

Thanks everyone for there help and advice.

• Like 4
On 7/21/2022 at 6:34 AM, Jpich85 said:

Luckily I managed to solve the issue now, it was something as simple as a bad earth to the engine block lol, I should of know but after some help from you guys and a little thinking I thought that was probably the issue as after I'd painted everything and powder coated everything something must not of been as it should, I've ran a new temporary earth to engine block and it worked as normal again, just need to think where to permanently put one and still look clean. 

Thanks everyone for there help and advice.

Could probably go with a braided earth strap from one of the rear engine mounts up to the battery and it would look fairly clean and tidy :)

Glad you figured out the problem.(y)