Opinions or experience with flatslides in 750 enginesn cc

Leblowski

Been building FI bikes for 8 years now and have no experience what so ever with NA engines so i am a bit in the dark.

Here's the case: 

I am building a yoshi rep for racing using a dothead 750 engine and a mix up from a vampire downpipes with open yoshi can and planning to use pipercross filters

The engine stays completely stock 

I really want to use the stock slabby flatslides wich are in good nick

I am worried that using the rather small slabby flatties wil choke the engine and bring down the horsies.

Can anyone tell me if this wil be the case and i need to buy bigger carbs ? Or can i get away with this set up using the slabby flatslides

It would be much appreciated if you can share your thoughts or experiences with me

Thanks in advance

You might see more horses on a dyno with bigger carbs, but what I'm often seeing is that a lap-time is delivered by the way that the mid-range works. 

Not such an issue with FI as you can usually get it set right, and cover all the bases for a particular circuit with a bit of work on the lap-top.

It's gonna depend on the circuit, the smaller carb will be easier in a tight track and give you more, if you go somewhere with big open spaces and long straights, you might want something bigger.  IOM, NW200, Paul Ricard, Doha, Indy, you'll see why they sell the bigger bodies for the bike.  This sells carbs as they're the ones reported as used in these places, bigger is always better right.

• Like 2

The std 750 flatslides may be a bit restrictive although plenty of people have bored them out to 33mm to release a bit more airflow but compared to the 38mm CV's fitted to the DOT head models, i'd say they'd come up short. I'd imagine 36mm Flatties would be the best compromise between mid to WOT power on a 750?

• 3 weeks later...